Starting Car With Dead Battery - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
If 24 hrs at 2 amps doesn't charge the battery enough to crank it over then the battery is bad.
sheila likes this.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE

After connected the (13 volts/6 amps according to the manufacture plate) charger for 36 hours, plus the amp meter moving from 2 to 1, I find that when I connect my voltmeter to the battery it reads 12 volts.

And, after reconnecting the leads to the car, the Sable's lights, radio, power mirrors/locks and car alarm works.

However, when I turn the key in an attempt to start I get nothing. Not even the click of the starter motor

Since I am assuming the problem still being that there is not enought cranking amps to turn the starter I will try to keep the charger connect for another extended period. If that still does not get the car to start, I at lease will be able to inflate the tires.

And maybe try to push it into the garage before the courts find me guilty of non complying with my City's stupid no unregistered cars in driveways law.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bull View Post
UPDATE

After connected the (13 volts/6 amps according to the manufacture plate) charger for 36 hours, plus the amp meter moving from 2 to 1, I find that when I connect my voltmeter to the battery it reads 12 volts.

And, after reconnecting the leads to the car, the Sable's lights, radio, power mirrors/locks and car alarm works.

However, when I turn the key in an attempt to start I get nothing. Not even the click of the starter motor

Since I am assuming the problem still being that there is not enought cranking amps to turn the starter I will try to keep the charger connect for another extended period. If that still does not get the car to start, I at lease will be able to inflate the tires.

And maybe try to push it into the garage before the courts find me guilty of non complying with my City's stupid no unregistered cars in driveways law.
Need to know: when you turn the key to start, does the interior lights dim or stay the same. Very dim and the battery is bad, or the starter is bad.

Watch the "theft" light. If it blinks when you turn the key to start, you do not have the correct chip key.

-chart-

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
when you turn the key to start, does the interior lights dim or stay the same
In reality everything stops working when I turn the key. Even if it just to the "on" position let alone to "start". All the items (horn, lights, radio, cigarette lighter, interior lights, etc.) stop working and everything goes "dark."

At this point I must assume that Auto Zone was correct when I took the battery to them and they said that the battery has a short.

At lease I do have enought power to run the inflator. And, if worse comes to worse, be able to push the car into the garage, makeing the City very happy
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Some people say that you can turn the battery upside down and shake it to get the sediment off the bottom and it brings the battery back to life. Watch out for battery acid leaking out.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Probably internally shorted/sulfated. Btdt, lol! Or just old and at the end of its life.

Last edited by sheila; 08-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

To answer your questions/remarks!

When The Battery "died" in November 2015 it was only 38 1/2 months old. And, as I said before, I took it to Auto Zone where they did say there was a short it in.

So that could be the root of all my problems

As for turning it "upside down," I know that when the batteries start declining in my TV remote a good slap to it make it work again.

So, one can assume that a variation of that could work.

However, I have noticed a strange aspect of my problem.

As , I also stated before, all the accessories works until I turn the key to start. Then, like flipping a switch, no more power.

BUT! If I wiggle (especially) the positive battery cable, power returns, and all the accessories work.

So, what kind of problem can cut power when trying to start a car, but, can be restored by wiggling a battery cable?

Or should I just give up and get some "Manly Men" to help push the Sable into the garage and out of public view?

Oh what I have to do just to make the city happy
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Year: 2004

Now this may be a really stupid / obvious question

& with a possibly shorted battery may not even be a good idea (speaking from experience)

but can you possibly get somebody you know to somehow
get their car -or- 4x4 ?

close enough to yours to jump start it?

Previous Bull Car: 1997 Taurus GL Sedan 3.0 Vulcan
Bought: May 1999, Junked: March 2016 (unibody shell rust L&R under the doors)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
close enough to yours to jump start it
I did think of that, but, the way the car is parked it is impossible to get another car near enough to run jumper cables.
Plus, as you pointed out, since the battery might be shorted I didn't want to risk my friend's much better cars.

Especially the 2017 Buick Encore (or even the more worthy 1988 Dodge Aries )

I'll just have to get my friends to push it into the garage before my next court date.

Thanks for all your posters help.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Its ALIVE - Almost!

While I may complain about how life stinks, I don't give up. So I kept working on the sable and have made progress.

I now can get the car to start. I get the "normal" staring sound, and the serpentine belt turns so I assume the crankshaft/pistons do also.

However, there is no ignition!

So, what is now the problem?

1: Can it be that there is still not enough amps to crack the engine to starting speed?

2: Or no gas is getting to the injectors/combustion chamber(s)?

I am beginning to think its the latter since it seem to be acting the same as if I was trying to start the car after (which I have done a few times) run out of gas? There is suppose to be 2-4 gallons is the tank, however, it has been sitting in there for almost 2 years. And, maybe it either gone bad, or has evaporate to below the minimum amount of gas necessary to "prime the engine?"

I am going to try putting in a gallon or 2 of gas and see what happens.

If nothing then I have not lost anything (except the $2.40 or so for the gas )

If it does, then the next thing is to exchange the flat tire for the spare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page