misfire under hard acceleration - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
misfire under hard acceleration

hi guys. I have a 2002 Taurus with the 3.0 duratec engine. When you start it, it idles and runs rough until you drive about 100 feet or so, then it smooths out. After that it runs well unless you give it more than 1/4 throttle from a dead stop. When trying to accelerate quickly from a stop or even from a roll it just stumbles and falls on its face and misfires like crazy. I have replaced the coil pack, wires and plugs within the last year. It also had a vacuum leak for a while that I just found and fixed which did not solve the problem. I got a code for cyl 1 and cyl 5 misfire but it has not thrown those codes in weeks. also it seems to idle rough when the air conditioning is on sometimes. other times the a/c has no effect. anyone got any ideas why it does this but does not throw a code? bad pcm? bad injector(s)? I'm at a loss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

What brand coil pack and plugs/wires did you use?

Rough idle with AC can be a vac leak issue, you may want to replace your upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. (Not too hard, there are tutorials here).

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
What brand coil pack and plugs/wires did you use?

Rough idle with AC can be a vac leak issue, you may want to replace your upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. (Not too hard, there are tutorials here).
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it is not a vac leak or the intake manifold gaskets because I had it smoke tested to find original vacuum leak. and we replaced the faulty vacuum hoses. There was a little oil in the #5 spark plug hole when i inspected the plug the other day. I cleaned it all up and the oil has not come back. I wonder if the valve cover gasket could be the cause of a vacuum leak

edit: the wires I used were the more expensive ones at the auto parts store, i forget the brand, and the coil pack was probably a cheap autoparts store brand. The plugs are motorcraft stock replacements

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Well, the only coil packs worth anything are the BWD and Motorcraft units, so you could have a defective coil still.

As for the intake manifold gaskets, the leak can be quite small and only show up under a heavier load. Over 100k those need to be replaced without question.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

There have been failures reported on aftermarket coil packs other than BWD. I am confused, were the codes cleared from the last occurrence and have they reappeared? Given the history have you checked signal pulse on the coil connector? You may have an issue at the connector or a chaffed wire

It's SHO time!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
How's the pcv hose/tube assy.?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

the lean codes went away when we fixed the vacuum leaks. The misfire codes have not come back since clearing them weeks ago. it is strange because it idles like crap when you first start it then after you drive for 30 seconds it clears up and only stumbles under hard acceleration. I'm going to check the wires tonight. I wish the coil wasn't under the intake, such a pain to get to
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

How long ago was the smoke test done? In the absence of codes it sounds like Sheila's suggestion of a PCV hose or some other source of vacuum leak

It's SHO time!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Have you checked the compression or perform a cylinder leak down test. Perhaps it's a valve leaking. That's if all else checks out with the ignition system.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:46 PM

When I replaced my engine (01 Vulcan) I had a really bad miss and it was showing a lean code for bank 1. I had the injectors from my old, blown engine, also an 01 Vulcan. Known good, so I rehabbed them by cleaning the injectors with undiluted, pressurized injector cleaner & a 9v battery to fire them, and new o-rings. Solved the miss and killed the code immediately. I'm thinking you might have one or more bad injector.

In the past, I have had a miss from one seeming new, but defective plug wire. New wires solved it. (On a Lumina.)

You may be able to check your ignition with an inductive timing light. We old school guys have them in our "useless" tool boxes--where infrequently or never used tools go to collect dust. Got a ring compressor and a valve spring compressor and a never used drum brake spring expander in mine. As soon as I'm done with my front suspension my pitman arm/ball joint and tie rod compressors will join them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page