00 to 02 Taurus 3.0 DOHC engine and transmission swap - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
00 to 02 Taurus 3.0 DOHC engine and transmission swap

I have a 2002 Taurus SEL DOM 8/2001 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission. It has 244K miles on it but still runs pretty good.
I have obtained a 2000 Taurus SES DOM 05/2000 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission with only 70K miles on it. I understand that there are some differences in the two. I noticed that my 2002 has spark plug wires while the 2000 has individual coil packs on each plug.
Can I swap the motors, transmissions, subframe and suspension? Will there be some modifications required?
I do all of my own mechanic work and have access to ALLDATA.
Any helpful advice will be most appreciated.

Last edited by jhuggins; 10-19-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Entered name and thread title incorrectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuggins View Post
I have a 2002 Taurus SEL DOM 8/2001 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission. It has 244K miles on it but still runs pretty good.
I have obtained a 2000 Taurus SES DOM 05/2000 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission with only 70K miles on it. I understand that there are some differences in the two. I noticed that my 2002 has spark plug wires while the 2000 has individual coil packs on each plug.
Can I swap the motors, transmissions, subframe and suspension? Will there be some modifications required?
I do all of my own mechanic work and have access to ALLDATA.
Any helpful advice will be most appreciated.
Lots of differences but need to swap the PCM and wire changes. Hard to tell about fuel systems. I do know '01 is different from '00 and '02. Chances of interchange need lots of investigation. As to '00 and '02 having the same fuel system? '02 likely has FPM control fuel pump and '00 likely has fues pressure regulator.

-chart-
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Are there differences in the '00 "long block" so to speak that would keep it from running with the '02 PCM, fuel system etc., if I just used those '02 parts on the '00 engine and transmission?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM

If the long block includes the heads, I think the waterpump location is one issue. On 2001 + duratecs, the pump is driven by one of the camshafts. 2000 is a "one only" year for the duratecs and I think AX4N transmissions as well, unfortunately. Maybe you could get a way with swapping the cooling system, but there is still an uncertainty.
I think the era where newer car engines could be easily swapped ended in the 80s. Cars built after that are very specific, especially with all the integrated, electronically controlled components. It can be done, just with a lot of electrical issues; dashboard lights, etc.
There are aftermarket electronic control systems with fuel injection and transmission control, but they cost thousands of dollars and you have to learn how to program them.
P.S. subframe and suspension is probably identical between 00 and 02, and even 96-07, so that part is easy. For rear suspension, a lot of parts are interchangeable even from 86 to 07.

Last edited by sable2000; 10-20-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sable2000 View Post
If the long block includes the heads, I think the waterpump location is one issue. On 2001 + duratecs, the pump is driven by one of the camshafts. 2000 is a "one only" year for the duratecs and I think AX4N transmissions as well, unfortunately. Maybe you could get a way with swapping the cooling system, but there is still an uncertainty.
I think the era where newer car engines could be easily swapped ended in the 80s. Cars built after that are very specific, especially with all the integrated, electronically controlled components. It can be done, just with a lot of electrical issues; dashboard lights, etc.
There are aftermarket electronic control systems with fuel injection and transmission control, but they cost thousands of dollars and you have to learn how to program them.
P.S. subframe and suspension is probably identical between 00 and 02, and even 96-07, so that part is easy. For rear suspension, a lot of parts are interchangeable even from 86 to 07.
That answers a lot of my questions. Thanks a lot for the advice!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Changed the title for you.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Changed the title for you.
Thanks for the title change, I'm new at this.

It sounds like this job to swap everything over would be more trouble than it is worth. Anyone have a low mileage '02 Taurus 3.0 DOHC engine and transmission they would like to trade for a '00 3.0 DOHC engine and transmission with only about 70K miles on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page