Harsh 1-2 shift after driving highway - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Harsh 1-2 shift after driving highway

Hi everyone! I've had my 2004 taurus for about 2 months now, and I have discovered an issue. Normally, my 1-2 shift is very good, as well as all the other shifts. Very crisp. However, after driving on the highway for 15+ mins, the 1-2 shift gets very harsh, but intermittently.

Example. I took the taurus on a 300 mile round trip 2 weeks ago. All highway. Got about 25 mins into the trip, and got detoured through lansing due to an accident. Starting from the first stoplight after getting off the highway, the 1-2 shift was very harsh, it knocked my sunglasses off my visor. Starting form the next light about 1/4 mile from the first light, the 1-2 shift was great! As was the next one! Then, again, the 1-2 shift was very harsh. Its very random, but ONLY when the transmission is well warmed.

I noticed that if I keep the gas pedal around 1/4 - 1/2 of the way down when starting out (merging on highway from rest area, for example), and it decides to shift hard into second, it will SLAM into second, then shift back into first, then SLAM into second again, until I let off the gas and let it settle down. Then all is well. Really weird! Otherwise it shifts great!! If it cools down for a half hour, the transmission shifts excellent, good as new!

I checked the transmission fluid and it is almost to the top of the hash marks when warm, in park. It is not burnt, or browned. It looks new. I have no codes. Cruise control works, speedo works (reads about 3 mph slow, but thats normal I think). All my research points to replacing the vss (OSS), but I wanted some other input before I start throwing parts at it.

It's a 2004 with a 3.0 Vulcan, AX4N transmission. The car has 146k miles, and otherwise runs like brand new. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM

AX4N, ughhh my 99 has one, when I had company cars my 2005 and 2006 must have had one, they all had and have a lousy 1-2 shift especially if you get on it.
Yours sounds different though seems to get worse as the tranny gets hot.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

yeah I keep hearing not so good things about it lol! The thing is though, when the transmission stays cool (short trips, even short highway trips less than 15 mins) it shifts through all gears like a brand new transmission! I'm stumped. I might just replace the OSS just to see if I get anywhere.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 AM

Missed a couple, my 92 and 93 did it too. 92 was brand new, Ford changed the tranny under warranty by the time I sold it in 96 it was on it's way out again. The 92 was a 3.8l and they did not have the recall on poor head gaskets at the time, hello auto-wreckers LOL

Be wary of fluid levels Ford's seem to hate low tranny fluid, maybe have someone do a filter, oil change and tranny flush.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 PM

I would lean toward the OSS(some parts places still call it a VSS) with my folks 2003 Sable(with the AX4N and Vulcan engine) after driving for about 15min to 30 mins(when the car was fully warmed up) it would shift harsh into 2nd from first or bang into gear or slip. it would also slip going around the corner. The fluid was in good shape and at proper level. Transmission shop and Ford dealer told them it was time for a new transmission. After reading on this forum, I deduced it was the VSS/OSS and for the $40 bucks it cost at the parts store, I figured what the heck, lets try.

After putting the part in(took 15 mins due to the plenum style of the 2003 models) and removing the battery cable for 15 mins, it drove like a new car.

Now don't be alarmed if the VSS/OSS issue on your car does not show the other symptoms as theirs did not have a check wallet light or or have codes stored and the speedometer worked fine.

Now I just replaced mine on my 2006 and my 2006 has a different upper intake plenum then the 2003 that makes reaching down from the top of the passenger side of the engine not possible. I am too much of a fat a$$ to crawl under the car even with the front jacked up and sitting on jack stands.

I was able to get at the VSS/OSS easily from the drivers side. I removed the snorkel that runs from the air filter box to the throttle and put it off to the side and remove and replace the VSS/OSS easy.

Good luck
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckell3 View Post
I would lean toward the OSS(some parts places still call it a VSS) with my folks 2003 Sable(with the AX4N and Vulcan engine) after driving for about 15min to 30 mins(when the car was fully warmed up) it would shift harsh into 2nd from first or bang into gear or slip. it would also slip going around the corner. The fluid was in good shape and at proper level. Transmission shop and Ford dealer told them it was time for a new transmission. After reading on this forum, I deduced it was the VSS/OSS and for the $40 bucks it cost at the parts store, I figured what the heck, lets try.

After putting the part in(took 15 mins due to the plenum style of the 2003 models) and removing the battery cable for 15 mins, it drove like a new car.

Now don't be alarmed if the VSS/OSS issue on your car does not show the other symptoms as theirs did not have a check wallet light or or have codes stored and the speedometer worked fine.

Now I just replaced mine on my 2006 and my 2006 has a different upper intake plenum then the 2003 that makes reaching down from the top of the passenger side of the engine not possible. I am too much of a fat a$$ to crawl under the car even with the front jacked up and sitting on jack stands.

I was able to get at the VSS/OSS easily from the drivers side. I removed the snorkel that runs from the air filter box to the throttle and put it off to the side and remove and replace the VSS/OSS easy.

Good luck
Awesome, thank you very much for the information. I'll switch out the OSS and go from there!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

^^+1
Classic VSS/OSS symptoms

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to update the thread. The problem (so far) has been fixed by replacing the OSS. Thanks to everyone who responded, and I hope this helps anybody with the same issue!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Hello everyone in this thread.

Have a 2000 Merc Sable 24V having the above described symptoms, want to replace the OSS, I'm looking at it here:

Where did you guys get your replacements? Guy at Autozone looked at me like I had 2 heads, even after showing him the photo. Is it commonly referred to as something else?

Also, is there any threads or how-to's for removal? Looks fairly straight-forward, not sure if those are allen head screws...hope they're not because they look rounded off...

Last edited by ejoy; 10-13-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-m...ml#post1597362
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-e...ml#post2267577

402 RWHP 910 FT.LBS.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PDR dyno days May 2004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page