front of engine is covered in brown dust - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question front of engine is covered in brown dust

I have a 2001 Taurus, with the 3.0 flex fuel engine. Lately I have noticed that there is a reddish-brown dust all over the front of the engine where the pulleys and belt are. I can hear a scraping sound when the engine is running and I am standing outside the vehicle. I was thinking this might be the A/C compressor clutch on its way out, and maybe its slipping and grinding which might be creating all the dust. The A/C does not blow as cold as it should and the high side hoses don't feel as cold as they should. The compressor engages and keeps spinning, so I don't think that there is a low level of freon. But I was thinking a bad A/C clutch would explain the scraping noise, the warmer than normal A/C and the brown dust. The dust is all over the alternator and all of the pulleys, and I don't think its brake dust.. The pictures don't show it very good but the first pic (with the power steering pulley) it is most evident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4756.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	99681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4755.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	99689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4757.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	99697  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackdog View Post
I have a 2001 Taurus, with the 3.0 flex fuel engine. Lately I have noticed that there is a reddish-brown dust all over the front of the engine where the pulleys and belt are. I can hear a scraping sound when the engine is running and I am standing outside the vehicle. I was thinking this might be the A/C compressor clutch on its way out, and maybe its slipping and grinding which might be creating all the dust. The A/C does not blow as cold as it should and the high side hoses don't feel as cold as they should. The compressor engages and keeps spinning, so I don't think that there is a low level of freon. But I was thinking a bad A/C clutch would explain the scraping noise, the warmer than normal A/C and the brown dust. The dust is all over the alternator and all of the pulleys, and I don't think its brake dust.. The pictures don't show it very good but the first pic (with the power steering pulley) it is most evident.
Time to take the belt off and spin things by hand. Find the loose part. Your A/C clutch is not fried yet as the rubber springs do not look melted. (like mine).

-chart-
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Time to take the belt off and spin things by hand. Find the loose part. Your A/C clutch is not fried yet as the rubber springs do not look melted. (like mine).

-chart-
The weird thing is that I worked on this car last summer and replaced the water pump, the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley. I'll have to take the belt off and check again though. The belt is about 6 months old so I know the belt is good. The a/c clutch does engage and stays engaged but I was thinking that maybe it was slipping. And I didnt know there was rubber parts on the clutch...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackdog View Post
The weird thing is that I worked on this car last summer and replaced the water pump, the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley. I'll have to take the belt off and check again though. The belt is about 6 months old so I know the belt is good. The a/c clutch does engage and stays engaged but I was thinking that maybe it was slipping. And I didnt know there was rubber parts on the clutch...
See pic. The rubber gets hot and in time fails to retract the plate when the power is off. Then it draggs and burns the rubber up. Some ford vehicles use steel springs. My '02 Lin Cont does. It makes a noise when it releases. More reliable in my op. Steel to steel, No rubber.

Something is rubbing making that dust, likely steel powder rusted.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 06-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page