Duratec from gen 3 or 4 in aerostar - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Duratec from gen 3 or 4 in aerostar

I know this question may sound or be stupid, but what the hell. I was having a brain storm whether it's stupid or not I don't know, I was thinking about either putting either a 3.0 duratec v6 or a 302 v8 in my aerostar. Again just a thought. The questions I have are 1) would a duratec fit in place of the vulcan, since they are both 60 degree v6s and 2) how would I be able to get the EEC 4 to communicate with the EEC 5 engine since the rest of the van is EEC 4. I am wanting to make the van appear stock eventhough we know it won't be. I am just thinking about ideas. The vulcan in the van runs good right now but I am thinking about future ideas. I don't really want to massively butcher up my wiring but I want more power and torque but keep it like it should have came out from the factory that way. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Duratec is a much bigger engine than the vulcan, primarily because of DOHC. What year is the aerostar? OBD1 or OBD2?

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Anything is possible with the right amount of money.....

That being said, the Aerostar is a RWD van, the duratec being a fwd platform engine so that would be interesting to find a trans to work with it.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Duratec is a much bigger engine than the vulcan, primarily because of DOHC. What year is the aerostar? OBD1 or OBD2?
EEC-IV would mean OBD-I, he'd have to replace just about everything.

Cant think of an application where the Tec has been used in RWD, pretty sure the Noble mounts it in the rear so it's direct drive.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Have you considered an MTX swap from a Ranger? The manual trans seems to help wake the Vulcan up some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

It's a 95 which means EEC 4. I wasn't exactly sure if there was a way I could get the engine (EEC 5) to communicate with the rest of the van ( EEC 4). If not I'll try to figure another alternative. I like the duratec engine due to it's performance and power and I was thinking about that idea. Would I have to do a front to back rewire on the van or could I just wire the engine/transmission to the rest since the I/p, hvac, etc. are the same pretty much between 92-97 but I'm unsure. Any ideas would be gladly appreciated.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
Cant think of an application where the Tec has been used in RWD
Certain Escape applications?

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Escape is FWD I thought. AWD is a whole different ball game.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM

Chapter: Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
EEC-IV would mean OBD-I, he'd have to replace just about everything.

Cant think of an application where the Tec has been used in RWD, pretty sure the Noble mounts it in the rear so it's direct drive.
Lincoln Ls, Aston Martin and jaguar?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery101 View Post
Lincoln Ls and jaguar?

Slightly different variant of them, not the same as the Taurus/Sable version. I think they'd be even bigger and harder to fit in the Aerostar.

Space is probably the biggest thing that makes this a no go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page