Duratec from gen 3 or 4 in aerostar - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
Escape is FWD I thought. AWD is a whole different ball game.
Escapes came in AWD, or RWD with optional 4WD, as I understood it. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Just kidding. I checked and apparently all Escapes are FWD or AWD, no RWD applications. You learn something new every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod

Last edited by it'sthatcar; 04-27-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Actually wiring an EEC-V into an older vehicle isn't super difficult, though it certainly isn't plug and play. As mentioned, the transmission is indeed the issue here. Ford has never made a RWD transmission with the Duratec bolt pattern. Even the 4WD/AWD Escapes use a FWD engine/transmission setup. Even if you were to modify the bellhousing on an existing transmission or have an adapter plate made, getting the Duratec's EEC-V PCM to control that transmission is not likely to happen even with custom tuning. You'd pretty much be required to adapt an MTX, and I can't think of one off the top of my head that would be suitable to even attempt adapting. The Duratec has a very unique bolt pattern.

Basically what I'm saying is that with enough time and money it figuratively could be done, but there'd be a lot of wiring and custom machine work to be done. Custom bellhousing, motor mounts, etc. Just a train of thought though, the SHO V6 has the same bolt pattern as the Vulcan.....

-Jonathan
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Just a train of thought though, the SHO V6 has the same bolt pattern as the Vulcan.....
Not to mention it's EEC-IV, correct?

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
Not to mention it's EEC-IV, correct?
Yep, and the RWD Vulcan motor mounts will bolt right up to it. You can also reverse the intake manifold so the throttle body is at the front of the engine. I've seen them swapped into Rangers several times. It really is all but a bolt in swap for the Vulcan. The question is if the wider SHO intake manifold and heads will fit in the tight confines of the Aerostar engine bay. It's not really any bigger than the Duratec though, so if it won't fit the Duratec likely wouldn't either.

-Jonathan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
Cool

Go for the SHO V6!

92 White SHO

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page