Engine Specs - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Spend my 02˘ wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I'm attaching the factory assembly manual just so you have it. It's not particularly specific, but it may be helpful. I'm also attaching the manual for the piston/rod assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertripp View Post
I will admit though. I'm a newb at this engine stuff but I understand the rebuild stuff for the most part. I would love to purchase some new piston heads for this engine, some decent ones atleast. I have no idea what to get though.. any comments/suggestions??
I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say piston heads. Are your referring to the pistons or the cylinder heads? Either way, there's not really anything out there that would be an "upgrade". As for the pistons, if the cylinders are out of spec, the cylinders should be bored and new over-sized pistons should be installed. Even if the cylinders are in spec, they should be honed. The new rings won't seat properly if they aren't. As for the heads, the valves, valve seats and valve guides should be thoroughly measured and inspected. The mating surface should also be checked for flatness and the entire head should be checked for cracks. If anything is out of spec they should be rebuilt or replaced with remanufactured heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertripp View Post
Also, just want to be sure. Is this ring pattern universal? Top ring = compression middle = compression. bottom = oil set up ring? Or can this pattern be switched at all?? I'm not going to do it, just really don't want to mix it up on accident.
:/
The grove in the piston for the oil control rings is much wider than the grooves for the compression rings. The rings are also easy to differentiate. The oil control rings are thinner than the compression rings. The spacer that goes between the oil control rings is obviously pretty easy to differentiate.

As for your previous questions about the rod bolt torque specs, the factory manual only states that they should be torqued to 26 ft.lb. in pairs. In my experience, the best course of action is to get there in two or three steps. For example, I'd starting by torquing both bolts to 15 ft.lb. Then torque them to 20 ft.lb. and finally torque them to 26 ft.lb.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003 Vulcan Assembly.pdf (1.11 MB, 319 views)
File Type: pdf 2003 Vulcan Piston Assembly.pdf (158.6 KB, 177 views)

-Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

I know don't know where your getting all of this but it's completely awesome! lol

But yea, sorry about that, should of specified better. At least in that, I know that I got this all perfectly straight to do this job. Every thing you've told me about, I've re-read over and over. Thats a good sign! Thanks so much for all the info man, I truly appreciate it!!

I was asking about the piston head (ontop of connecting rod) though, not the actual engine head. I really want to order some hyper-eutectics.. It sucks though because I don't know if I'll need to bore the holes until I get this apart.. They'll probably just need a good honeing/deglazing which I will do. Just wonder if I should order the standard size pistons for my engine or not.. idk.. or even if I could just reuse the pistons already in the engine?? Could I get away with that? (obviously if their not too worn..)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE!

HELP! I found these in the oil pan!!! I don't know what they are or where they came from!! Please help!

Edit: Their about 1/4 in diameter it looks like..

Also, one dot on each oil pump gear. I assume they line up next to each other. Correct??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140427_202719.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	99417  

Last edited by powertripp; 04-27-2014 at 08:48 PM.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Piston ring job...

Done!

Took me 3 days.

Started right up!

I took it around the block twice just now to get it up to operating temp and noticed on the second time.. It started shifting gears a little roughly. Normal???

I'm taking it to work tomorrow so well see what happens.

Tons of pics tomorrow guys! Stay tuned!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertripp
It started shifting gears a little roughly. Normal???
Congrats! Just a guess, but it may need to go through the complete drive cycles after disconnecting to 'relearn'.

Tyson
No matter where you go, the first person that you meet when you get there will be yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page