Fan on high speed 1994 Sable - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
st5

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Fan on high speed 1994 Sable

Have had this problem for a couple of days now where the check engine light comes on after a short while and the radiator fan runs on high speed.
Checked the codes and 113, 172 show up in memory, no codes in KOER.
Would it be oxygen sensors and air temp sensor? I'm tempted to replace the coolant sensor which logically would affect the fan operation but nothing shows
related to this when I check the codes.
I don't want to start throwing parts at random.
It is 3.8 engine, oxygen sensors are 9 years old, the other sensors are still original.
Any pointers?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

113 - IAT sensor is/was high or open
172 - Oxygen sensor not switching – lean – Bank 1 (rear)

Well, first I would try to fix the IAT sensor. Did it get unplugged? The fans might be running because the PCM thinks the IAT temp is really high.

It might actually be time to replace the O2 sensors again.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

This happened back when I had a 1992 tempo. I was idling my check engine light came on and the car ran rough for a few seconds and the coolant fan was on high. After a minute the fan turned off and the SES light went out. It did this several times, I replace my ECT sensor and the problem was fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
st5

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
172 - Oxygen sensor not switching lean Bank 1 (rear)

Well, first I would try to fix the IAT sensor. Did it get unplugged? The fans might be running because the PCM thinks the IAT temp is really high.

I ordered the parts, thanks for the input.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
st5

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
172 - Oxygen sensor not switching lean Bank 1 (rear)

I replaced both O2 sensors, no more check engine light but today I got fan on high after starting the engine. I made the trip and I know the fan was running because I could hear the whine. I came back and decided to check the codes. With engine off and ignition on the fan came on suddenly. I checked the codes and there was 176, O2 again but I got 111 so I tried to do KOER and after 000 and 6 the code reader shut down. Tried again, same thing. It is 1994 Sable 3.8, it runs well but there must be something wrong and I am at a loss right now. Any ideas?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Fan coming on with engine off but ignition on…that happens you can simulate this by disconnecting the PCM. If I still had my 87 I'd go check what happens when I disconnect the ECT and check, as well as what happens when I disconnect the CCRM up at the header panel.

If the car is KOER, and you unplug the ECT on a OK running car, the fan automatically engages into high speed. Not to throw money at it, but if you haven't replaced the ECT, that is worth looking into doing. If for no other reason than age.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page