'97 LX issues - Can transmission just go out? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
'97 LX issues - Can transmission just go out?

I have a 97 Taurus LX. It has about 15x.xxx miles on it. Ran and drove perfect for the longest time, Never had any issues. Transmission never seemed to show ANY signs of going out. Fluid was abit dark, But not bad.

Well, The alternator went out on it (Battery light came on, AutoZone said bad diode) and we had to drive it around for abit like that. Never any issues. We got the alternator fixed in it. Then we drove it around for a while... No issues. I left for abit, And come back to find out the car is dead (Not battery, etc) it will not move. I put in ANY gear, and it just sits there... You can tell it's TRYING to move, but just doesn't seem like it's getting enough pressure or whatever. The fluid seemed WAY over filled... But it also wasn't running for long to build up pressure I guess, and it was really dark.

I don't see how a transmission can just go out. It showed NO signs of it. Now it acts like it wants to move, but does not have enough pressure... Almost like it's low on fluid.

Things that came to mind for me, Was either the filter was clogged, Fluid is low and reading wrong, or the pump.. Only things I can think of. Figured I'd post here to get some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Check the atf level with it running and the car shut off. If the level doesn't drop it could be the pump went out or the torque converter splines are stripped out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Well, you had dark fluid. That was the first sign you had issues.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Slicer89, when you say, "I left for a bit", did anyone else have access (drive it)?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
Well, you had dark fluid. That was the first sign you had issues.
I'm aware. But why would it just go out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ Slicer89, when you say, "I left for a bit", did anyone else have access (drive it)?
Not that I am aware of.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Tranny fluid loses viscosity over time and use, and when it's dark it has the viscosity of a cup of overheated coffee. The fluid not only transmits force from the drive half to the driven half of the system, it lubricates the components. When the fluid gets excessively thinned out - and dark color, burnt smell and high level are all indicators of it - the pumps may work but the fluid's too thin to transfer force. Furthermore - the high level indicates pump failure and/or mechanical failure...usually, in the form of the spline shafts failing.

Really, someone needs to lay eyeballs and tools on your car. A forum at this point can't do much more than tell you what to check to see what failed, and commiserate over the misfortune. (I'll keep my fingers crossed that I am mistaken about the failure part. )

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lgbpop; 12-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Yup, the dark fluid indicates it didn't just go out, this has been an issue thats been coming on for a while.

Stripped splines or a failed pump as mentioned are real possibilities, low fluid, you are really gonna need to get it to someone that can actually diagnose it at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page