2003 taurus SES rough shifting - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2003 taurus SES rough shifting

I know this has sort of been covered elsewhere, but I did not find specifically what I was looking for. Going to look at a 2003 Taurus SES in a nearby town tomorrow and the owner says that the transmission fluid was changed, but it will still not shift from 1st to 2nd very well. Is it possible that this is a vehicle speed sensor rather than a junk trans? I am assuming that this vehicle has the Duratec engine. Car has 117K on it with clear title.

If it could be the VSS, is there anything else I could look for that would help me determine this? Can the VSS be bad and the speedometer work fine?

Might be able to get the car for $1200, but if it is the tranny shot, that is no deal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Hard to say if it's a Duratec, but it will be an AX4N regardless of engine.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

03 is not VSS equipped. OSS and TSS

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

okay, so would a bad OSS or TSS give a code on a OBDII scanner? Would a bad one of these cause this shifting issue?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Yes, the OSS can be the cause. Like a VSS they don't always throw codes and would require a high end scanner to read if it is there. If someone went through the trouble to change fluid it begs some questions. Did they change the fluid themselves? It seems like a shop would know enough to suspect the sensors as it is not an unusual problem.

It's SHO time!

Last edited by jag1959; 10-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Given the iffy transmissions on '03s, I'd be suspect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input so far. One last question for now.

It sounds like the OSS is at least a good possibility, does anyone have any experiences with this Trans not wanting to shift with a good OSS. Owner says that it runs good and moves well in first and reverse, but it does not want to shift into second gear. Any field test suggestions for the transmission if it throws no codes?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM

When i got my 2001 it had similar problem - would hardly shift at all, and transmission light was on the dash. It was because of fuse was dead and tranny solenoids were off because of that.

However theres like 6 other separate components on this fuse except the tranny solenoids, i nailed it down to one of oxygen sensors ($60 total) and replaced it and fuse, problem went away.

However old driver was driving like this for a while and killed something in tranny so now on hot it does not shift on lower gears until rpm goes to 5000. I changed both speed sensors, tranny oil filter and oil, put bottle of Lucas transmission fix, yet nothing helped it still shifts slow on hot tranny.

Another thing that shows you that tranny or sensors are dead is that when you at full stpo and push gas to the ground it takes about 1-2 seconds before car to start accelerating real fast, it should be instant.

Many people told me to swap tranny or not to buy ford because their transmission are weak, well after i fixed the problem with transmission i drove every day for 2 years without any new problems it drives same as when i fixed transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page