Antifreeze leakage - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I did some research on Spectra and Murray, and both are made in China, Rock auto has another brand that appears to be decent (is about 50 shipped). Don't know how that would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

I did research too on every part manufacturer, and in my opinion everything made in china this days even Federal Mogul (Moog), All so called "Germam" companies including Bosch made in china too. I guess Motorcraft is just re-badged parts not real manufacturer so fall in same category.

There real question nowadays days if they have factory in China that produces quality parts using strong steel. I bet big companies do.

There's some mid-range part manufacturers in Italy and few other countries, but they far not as good as Chinese quality parts from Bosch for example.

In Los Angeles AutoZone only has Duralast (Chinese Autozone Brand) and Valuecraft pumps for Taurus, no Specrtra pumps.

Here the marketing catch, "<company name> Germany" does not mean they make products in Germany its just means company is registered in Germany, but factory can be in Taiwan.

Same for Spectra i am afraid look at their website http://www.spectrapremium.com on homepage there's slider where its saying
Engineered and designed in North America, word Engineered could have many meanings, they would say Made in USA if they had nothing to hide.

If you want to check just shoot email to any manufacturer you like and ask if they make parts here or import from China, its not a secret they will tell you.

Last edited by Clark$; 10-11-2013 at 02:10 PM.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark$ View Post
I did research too on every part manufacturer, and in my opinion everything made in china this days even Federal Mogul (Moog), All so called "Germam" companies including Bosch made in china too. I guess Motorcraft is just re-badged parts not real manufacturer so fall in same category.

There real question nowadays days if they have factory in China that produces quality parts using strong steel. I bet big companies do.

There's some mid-range part manufacturers in Italy and few other countries, but they far not as good as Chinese quality parts from Bosch for example.

In Los Angeles AutoZone only has Duralast (Chinese Autozone Brand) and Valuecraft pumps for Taurus, no Specrtra pumps.

Here the marketing catch, "<company name> Germany" does not mean they make products in Germany its just means company is registered in Germany, but factory can be in Taiwan.

Same for Spectra i am afraid look at their website http://www.spectrapremium.com on homepage there's slider where its saying
Engineered and designed in North America, word Engineered could have many meanings, they would say Made in USA if they had nothing to hide.

If you want to check just shoot email to any manufacturer you like and ask if they make parts here or import from China, its not a secret they will tell you.
Spectra was the brand which made the heater core I bought in June. It started leaking almost immediately.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Anyway the water pump replacement is so easy i dont see problem using aftermarket part from known manufacturer that has "limited lifetime warranty", in worse case i can change it again.

I'd go with ACDelco, but i dont feel like waiting week to order it online and Motorcraft does not sell just piece of pump they only sell full pump.

As i thought pump started to leak in same exact spot as pump in my older car, from place marked with the arrow i dont understand why they make this hole in the water pumps it always starts to leak from there.

Don't think old pump was a factory pump?

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclngthr View Post
Spectra was the brand which made the heater core I bought in June. It started leaking almost immediately.
Heh, I though you were advising me to buy in previous post.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Heh, I though you were advising me to buy in previous post.
No. I was advising you that Spectra has had problems with their products. Was looking online at several sites and other people have had issues with the Spectra parts as well; they tend to leak easy.

On the water pumps, I tend to go with new units instead of rebuilt units. Those rebuilts I have had over 30 years have failed quite easily and not long after they were put in.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Devoted Member

The weep hole is between the seal and bearing. It keeps coolant from getting into the bearing, and causing it to fail.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 wheel disc brakes View Post
The weep hole is between the seal and bearing. It keeps coolant from getting into the bearing, and causing it to fail.
I see well it would leak anyway regardless of the hole...

Was the old pump stock or aftermarket based on brand?

I wonder what caused the leak bad cap on expansion tank or concentration of chemicals?

I will try to take old piece it apart and see tonight.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Chemicals again? What chemicals?

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:

I'd go with ACDelco, but i dont feel like waiting week to order it online and Motorcraft does not sell just piece of pump they only sell full pump.
NO ONE sells pieces of a coolant pump for obvious reasons.
Quote:
Don't think old pump was a factory pump?

Why not? Isn't FoMoCo - "Ford Motor Company" - enough of a tip-off?

As far as replacement pumps failing prematurely, make sure it's mounted on the engine properly, and that the pulley is in line with the other pulleys and idlers. If there is any axial force from the belt on cheap aftermarket-pump bearings, they will be over-stressed and fail far earlier than they should. That weep hole is there for a reason; to let you know the bearings are worn and the pump's verging on the failure point. Don't ignore the message.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page