Tranny Woes - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Woes

Afternoon folks,

My cousin has a 2000 Taurus with the 24valve 3.0 motor in it. I'm pretty sure that's the Duratec motor.

Long story short -- he ran for an unknown amount of time 4 quarts low on the trans fluid. The transaxle warning light clicked on, we took care of the low fluid problem. But the 1-2 shift still sucks, and shifts wicked hard. Transmission is no longer slipping. WOT barks the tires after it revs to the moon. My first impression is a VSS/Trans output shaft sensor and a complete fluid change with filter.

Your thoughts? Right track? Is the transmission toast because it ran 4 quarts low for who knows how long?

Thanks!

183K on the clock, original motor and trans.
kijutsu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 22,176
Rep Power: 112
     
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Dunno, worth a try. Be sure to use mercon v atf. Fyi, Ford changed the name of vss (vehicle speed sensor) to oss (output shaft speed sensor) for the 2000 model year. Still the tranny output speed sensor. Tss (turbine shaft speed sensor) is the tranny input speed sensor.

Last edited by sheila; 03-28-2012 at 12:18 PM.
sheila is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Devoted Member
 
2000sable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 1,439
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
1. Stop barking the tires.
2. Try some SeaFoam Transtune for about 200 miles or so.
3. drop the pan and change the filter and whatever fluid drains via pan drop (use mercon V).
4. let us know how that goes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her name is Laura.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000sable is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
fct
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Chapter: Southern
Posts: 1,770
Rep Power: 30
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Here is a complete tutorial

How to Flush your transmission at home - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki


If you follow this, I find it useful to start with about 15 quarts of fluid.
fct is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Member
 
prismatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 402
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
If none of that works, and everyone else's ideas that don't include my own fail, try using some Lucas oil transmission fix.

It's more of a patch for a failing transmission.
prismatic is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sable View Post
1. Stop barking the tires.
2. Try some SeaFoam Transtune for about 200 miles or so.
3. drop the pan and change the filter and whatever fluid drains via pan drop (use mercon V).
4. let us know how that goes.
The tires are not barked purposely. It barks when you try to get on the freeway. Hit the gas to get up to speed, torque convertor unlocks, RPMs hit 6000 and the trans reengages 2nd/3rd and spins them. Didn't do it before.
kijutsu is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 132
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijutsu View Post
Afternoon folks,

My cousin has a 2000 Taurus with the 24valve 3.0 motor in it. I'm pretty sure that's the Duratec motor.

Long story short -- he ran for an unknown amount of time 4 quarts low on the trans fluid. The transaxle warning light clicked on, we took care of the low fluid problem. But the 1-2 shift still sucks, and shifts wicked hard. Transmission is no longer slipping. WOT barks the tires after it revs to the moon. My first impression is a VSS/Trans output shaft sensor and a complete fluid change with filter.

Your thoughts? Right track? Is the transmission toast because it ran 4 quarts low for who knows how long?

Thanks!

183K on the clock, original motor and trans.
4 quarts low is more than half of the fluid, you trashed it.
glockman is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Longmeadow, MA
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 3,053
Rep Power: 36
  
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman View Post
4 quarts low is more than half of the fluid, you trashed it.
Not true. The transmission holds 14-15 quarts, not less than 8...

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome