03 Taurus tranny issues - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Nick and Chart will keep me on my toes, lol!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Thank you all. Tuffy replaced wires and plugs, and cleaned fuel injection system, for a cool additional $460. No question they needed replacement, although questions remain: Why did this problem occur immediately AFTER we have the transmission replaced? And when my son picked the car up after the transmission replacement and new water pump, the technician vaguely noted the car wasn't running all that well and suggested we bring it back if not happy (rather than simply say there was still a problem that needed attention). So my son drove the car away with the aforementioned pricey results. Am thinking Tuffy is somewhat culpable here ... letting the car go with awareness that it still wasn't running all that well. I suppose the response would be, Why would you accept the car if things weren't 100% right?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Thats what makes it hard working on other peoples cars. You just don't know what they want or expect.

I can feel a mis-alignment in a vehicle that a master tech will overlook, while others (like my friends) will rack up 120k on a car with out ever getting it aligned. They were kinda just saying, "if it bothers you, bring it back." Most people just don't notice issues with cars, and drive em forever with out a care.

I do agree that the tech should have made a suggestion for a return after 100 miles or so for a recheck, if thought things were *weird*.

$460 for plugs, wires, and a can of injection cleaner. I don't want to piss you off, but they should have at least kissed you before they fuc&ed you. Even if they used the special injection cleaner that plugs in at the rail.

My advice: Tell your family, friends, co-workers, STAY away from "tuffy's".

I don't think the r+r of the trans caused your misfire, that **** just happens over time on these motors.

If it was my shop, I would have given you a large discount for having to return to have the plugs and wires changed (like cost on parts and no labor), and I wouldn't have sold you a worthless fuel injection "cleaning" service. But, shops are businesses, and inherently, they need to make money.

I hate shops, hate hate hate hate hate shops. I'd love to become a lawyer just to sue every shop that sells worthless services to customers. (ie fuel system cleaner).

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Fuel injection cleaner has its merits, but a lot depends on what type of product is used and how it is administered. I'd hate for your to become a lawyer, we already have too many sue happy lawyers as it is. My guess is your misfire was caused by something being disturbed by the techs working on the car. I would agree, your mechanic was less that thorough about the way they handled it. I would have taken the car on a complete test drive and took note of any problems that were present both before and after the repairs. If there is a problem present after the repair that wan't present before, I would offer to fix it is a discount at least, unless it was obviously completely my fault. Even if the problem was present, I'd let the customer know about it and offer to fix it along with the other services for a discounted price for being my customer and letting me take care of them. Each shop has a different mentality though, I am the type that would rather do a quality job and keep the customer happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar View Post
Fuel injection cleaner has its merits, but a lot depends on what type of product is used and how it is administered. I'd hate for your to become a lawyer, we already have too many sue happy lawyers as it is. My guess is your misfire was caused by something being disturbed by the techs working on the car. I would agree, your mechanic was less that thorough about the way they handled it. I would have taken the car on a complete test drive and took note of any problems that were present both before and after the repairs. If there is a problem present after the repair that wan't present before, I would offer to fix it is a discount at least, unless it was obviously completely my fault. Even if the problem was present, I'd let the customer know about it and offer to fix it along with the other services for a discounted price for being my customer and letting me take care of them. Each shop has a different mentality though, I am the type that would rather do a quality job and keep the customer happy.
not being argumentative, but every gallon of gas has plenty of fuel injector cleaner in it. I have never seen an fuel system cleaning service make any difference at all. EVER. If they pulled the injectors and did it by hand, yeah. There's a ton of detergents in all the gas sold today.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Just a note, if Tuffy gave you cheap plugs you're going to need to redo those. You NEED dual platinum plugs. You have a waste spark ignition, meaning the plug also fires backwards during the exhaust stroke so they could squeeze six fires into three coil packs. Since the plug fires in reverse, if you don't have the dual platinum plugs the gap will continue to spread due to the increased voltage requirement to jump the gap in reverse. They're not cheap, about $6 to $8 each, and the rear plugs on the vulcan are a bitch to get to. So you're looking at $36 in plugs minimum plus tax. You can do it yourself and save some cash. Take the cowl off the front of the window for better access. Some people find it necessary to remove the top of the intake manifold for more clearance but I didn't need to. Just remove that plastic cowl piece and get someone with skinny arms to reach back in there with a palm ratchet.

Also, they could've screwed something up in the rear of the engine if they were tooling around back there trying to get those three plugs. Like I said, not much room to get at those three plugs in the back. I wouldn't put it past someone to just say screw it and not even touch those three plugs and say they did, and charge you for it anyways. It's NOT a quick job. It took me about an hour just to get the three plugs in the back, and I already knew how to get them out, and I didn't remove the top of the manifold like some people do. If it was a quick job I'd question if they even did anything.

If I'm not mistaken, cylinder 3 is in the rear on the right when facing the front of the vehicle. If you find that plug is old, get all three, and go back to tuffy and raise hell.

Last edited by meal4zombies; 03-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page