Did stop-leak mess up my tranny? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Did stop-leak mess up my tranny?

Re: 1991 Sable AXOD-E

Late last spring I added tranny stop-leak in an effort to correct a leaky valve body cover gasket, an act that I admit I am not proud of. I used the solvent based stuff, not the heavy bodied Lucas Tranny Fix. Good news/bad news: It stopped leaking at about the same time it began slipping.

So, I drained and purged and installed new fluid/filter. The leak gradually reappeared and the slipping condition improved somewhat.

Symptom 1: While in 3rd gear, when letting up on the gas pedal, then leaning back into it, the rpms increase without the expected corresponding increase in road speed, confirmed by DTS 647. DTC 646 appears now and then as well, so 2nd is slipping too, I'm just not feeling it. Going easy on the gas pedal during these times allows it to come out of it in a few seconds. If I slow down enough allow a downshift, then it is able to upshift normally with no slipping noted.

Symptom 2: During normal acceleration the engine revs slightly on the 2-3 upshift. This does not occur during very light or during robust acceleration. In fact, upshifts are quite solid when leaning on it, aside from what I mentioned in the above paragraph.

Symptom 3: When tipping off idle, an ever so slight "bump" is felt... kind of like a slam, only extremely gentle. If I ease into the throttle more gradually, then accelerate normally once the wheels are moving, this "bump" is not felt.

One other symptom... and it may be unrelated... is that it will not engage OD, giving me DTC 648, 4th gear slipping. That may have occurred before I added the stop leak. That problem began gradually, first having difficulty engaging, and easily disengaging when it was in. I don't need OD anyway so it's not a big concern.

Now... today symptom 2 was somewhat improved and the overall upshifts seemed crisper... and I use that word loosely regarding the AXOD-E. The only variable that changed is ambient temperature; today was the coldest day we have had here since all of this began. I might add that regardless of the ambient temp, these problems do not occur on a cold tranny... only when it is warmed up.

This tranny does not seem to run hot, the fluid always appears nice and red and retains that delightful new fluid smell. I use only synthetic fluid and the pan and magnet don't have abnormally large amounts of debris in/on them when serviced.

Furthermore, these symptoms are stable; they do not seem to be worsening.

This is kind of a crappy old car and I will not incur large amounts of time/money to fix the tranny: I'll just drive it gently until it goes completely south or until the car is overwhelmed by rust. However, if there is an easy fix, I'll do it.

Q: Could the stop leak have altered internal o-rings/seals, affecting mechanical operation? My intuition is that these problems are being caused by lower than par fluid pressure, which would explain why things are better when cold and fluid viscosity is greater.

Regards... Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 AM

Chapter: Northeast

I can imagine your tranny being original which is almost 22 years old and it was/is on its last legs. If the fluid wasn't changed ever, both the leak-stop and new fluid contribute to the slipping. There is most likely nothing you can do at this point other than putting in new/rebuilt/junk yard tranny.

"Fast Vulcans are like the Lockness monsters of street racing world,
everyone claims they exist but no ones actually seen one"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 04:23 AM

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommegga View Post
I can imagine your tranny being original which is almost 22 years old and it was/is on its last legs. If the fluid wasn't changed ever, both the leak-stop and new fluid contribute to the slipping. There is most likely nothing you can do at this point other than putting in new/rebuilt/junk yard tranny.
i used valvoline stop leak before and it worked great. like you said its an old crappy car.........

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Most older trannys have new fluid in them when they crap out. The services and filters that never happened are probably the big contributers. I have a 96 Sable DOHC I bought for $800 and the tranny was hard shifting. I dropped pan and had a magnet full of metal. Looked like and old fashioned donut in gray. Put in filter and pumped out fluid to get complete fluid change from torque converter. After my service I found tranny fluid leaking. I put the car up on ramps and with a light and mirror found a crack in the tranny case. When driving it pumps fluid out onto exhaust and smokes when you stop because the fluid burns on the exhaust. I just kept my foot out of it and added fluid every 100 miles. 20,000 mile later it still is going. It slips under heavy pedal but shifts through all gears. I just drive like an egg between pedal and foot. Put on cruise at 60 and just turn up the tunes. Crappy cars still serve me well and I get an honest 28mpg with this POS!!
Good luck, the next crappy car is waiting for you.
downhill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page