03 transmission fluid level - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
03 transmission fluid level

Hello

just had a pan drop /filter change plus a flush and I was wondering what level should the transmission fluid be at....

currently its at the mid-low range in the cross hatch area when running warm and in park...

the tranny shop said its fine and to leave it....

would it be bad to add .2 of a quart to make it move a bit higher on the stick ? i dont want to over fill it just put it up in the 70 percent area of the dip stick...

and when its off and everything has drained to the pan its way past the cross hatch area...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Yes, you can leave it if its in the safe cross hatch area or add 1/2-1 pint if you want.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskills View Post
Hello

just had a pan drop /filter change plus a flush and I was wondering what level should the transmission fluid be at....

currently its at the mid-low range in the cross hatch area when running warm and in park...

the tranny shop said its fine and to leave it....

would it be bad to add .2 of a quart to make it move a bit higher on the stick ? i dont want to over fill it just put it up in the 70 percent area of the dip stick...

and when its off and everything has drained to the pan its way past the cross hatch area...
This is like the fuel gage. "Approximate" is best way to think.

Example: my 02 Lin Cont takes 6.0Q of engine oil. That makes it a bit over the full or above the crosshatch. My latest 02 Lin Cont that is upper mid way of the crosshatch. There are variations in the volumes of car containers/pans and stuff inside them, as well as the dipstick and it's tube.

Anywhere in the crosshatch is fine. Really important is, do not over fill. That is BAD.

And for tranny, only the level while idling is important, NOT where it when not running.

-chart-

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

If you look at the dipstick for the trans oil it says "DO NOT ADD IF LEVEL IS IN CROSS-HATCH" Your ok. I just did the same thing 3 weeks ago and that's where my fluid is after adding 7 Quarts back in to the trans. What you don't want is an overfull condition, that would cause issues.

Edit *Adding to charts reccomendations* - Drive the car for about 10-15 miles and then check the trans oil level on a level surface in Park so that the oil is at full operational temp.

Troy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Model: 2000 SE + SVG Pkg. without alloys
Color: Tropic Green Clearcoat Metallic.
Engine: 3.0L FFV Vulcan (2v)
Transmission: AX4S / AXOD
Mods: Mach Audio RCU and Sail Tweeters, Upgraded OEM CD player, Infinity Reference 6x8's in all 4 corners,
Centennial Headlight Mod, Green LED Gauges, Painted Gauge bezel and K&N Custom intake system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page