Duratec 3L Aftermarket Air Intake Question - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Duratec 3L Aftermarket Air Intake Question

Well I'm new to the website and I thought i should become a apart of it. But I have some questions because a year ago I installed an Air Intake that increased my power and gas mileage but gave me a Check Engine Light and it was fine but awhile later the transmission started hard shifting and I had to go back to stock airbox.

I would like to know if there is a way to have the increased performance with a air intake without a check engine light?

Car: 1999 Taurus SE
Engine: Duratec 3L v6 24v DOHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Yes you can get increased performance. However fuel economy is not typically part of the package. If you increase airflow, and the computer detects it, you get more fuel to match the increased air. If you get increased airflow but the computer does not detect it, you don't get increased fuel, but you will get slightly better mileage and decreased power.

To get increased power and economy in the same package, a tuner is a good route. More aggressive timing usually increases both performance and economy, especially a good tune that is perfected on a dyno. The tradeoff there is that tuners can be expensive, and you may have to run slightly higher octane depending on how aggressive the tune is.

Truth be told. I don't think the stock intake is restrictive, but you can do some mods to the stock setup to produce more sound, and possible throttle response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada

How extensive was the air intake? If it was little more than just a cone filter and some pipe it should have been ok. Do you know what code the check engine light was throwing? Was the MAF sensor hooked up properly after you put the new intake on?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 AM

Hm... We'd need to know what the code was to tell what went wrong, and also, what you did. Were all the vacuum lines hooked up properly? Was the MAF hosing/wires hooked up properly? Was the IAT installed properly? The code could've been lean, or MAF signal doesn't match TPS, or IAT not responding, or something tranny related.

My money is on MAF, though, because IIRC it's part of the load calculation, which will control transmission behaviour. I have a 3" CAI on my car, and it doesn't throw a light.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all the feedback, it was just a aftermarket cone one that made it sound very aggressive and higher flow, I did not get the engine code but i'm betting it on being the sensor because I believe the computer did not like the massive change in air flow and threw a check engine light in there. The transmission symptoms didn't start happening until 2 months after the air intake.

@Zuljin

I believe the v8 SHO's are easier to install upgrades on but I don't know exactly

Last edited by chad273120; 11-10-2011 at 11:47 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad273120 View Post
Well thanks for all the feedback, it was just a aftermarket cone one that made it sound very aggressive and higher flow, I did not get the engine code but i'm betting it on being the sensor because I believe the computer did not like the massive change in air flow and threw a check engine light in there. The transmission symptoms didn't start happening until 2 months after the air intake.

@Zuljin

I believe the v8 SHO's are easier to install upgrades on but I don't know exactly
The 3" CAI I have on my SHO was salvaged off my dead vulcan engine, which as I've been throwing around lately, made decent power for it's age. The SHO is easier to see more numbers out of, but the engine control system is the same on all three engine types. More airflow won't freak out your car unless the 02 sensors see a lean condition. Your shift points should change, though, because your load will go down. It also keeps your TC locked up more often, which is nice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

My guess is in part, either your system creates enough turbulence somehow to confuse the MAF, or the MAF is getting contaminated with something.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys I just figured out from my brother that the car was running lean with the air intake, the engine code said it was "Lean in Bank 1". How would I prevent it from running lean without a tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page