1994 3.8l barely running - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
1994 3.8l barely running

I'm working on a 1994 Taurus with the 3.8l v6. First things first, it was owned by my uncle's ex-wife's sister. She drove it every day and began to have problems with it. She got someone who I was told has no mechanical skills to work on it. Someone else told him over the phone, without seeing the car, to put a toggle switch on "it." Nobody knows what "it" is, but now there's a toggle switch next to the dimmer on the dash that seems to do nothing.

When I went to start it, it wouldn't start. I cranked and cranked, but it wouldn't even sputter. Finally it did sputter. And it didn't start. Fast forward almost ten minutes, and I got it to start. It's coughing and barely staying alive, and as soon as I let off the gas it died, but fired right up again. After keeping it running for ages, I could let off the gas, but it idled barely fast enough to keep running. Idle picked up after a while. Greyish/white smoke came from the exhaust, so I thought it was oil, but a visual inspection of the top of the engine displayed the problem. Around the intake manifold was a small bit of water, so obviously the intake manifold leaks. I'm told it overheated at one point, so hopefully the head gaskets aren't blown.

I tried to pull the codes after running it a bit- no koeo codes, but I got two koer codes- 536 and 521. 536 makes sense, because the power steering is going out, according to my uncle. As for the brake on/off sensor, I don't know.

Any ideas for solutions? Part of the deal with this car is that I figure out what's wrong with it and get started on a repair, otherwise my uncle wants to haul it off as scrap metal.

Also, there's a ground wire that seems to be unplugged. It's near the hood latch next to a bunch of other wires, and it's just dangling there. I have no idea what it plugs into.

Last edited by JTalley; 11-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Not to burst your bubble, but it sounds like the infamous 3.8 essex head gasket failure. How do the oil and coolant look?

Last edited by sheila; 11-08-2011 at 06:54 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

The 536 and 521 are there because the KOER test was not run correctly. You need to tap the brake to exercize the BOO circuit / switch and turn the steering wheel at least 1/2 a turn to exercize the PSPS circuit / switch.

Have you checked fuel pressure to be sure it is in spec?

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Trader Score: 3 reviews
I would guess a blown head gasket (or a leaking intake manifold gasket) and at least one mostly plugged catalytic converter.

Mind posting a pic of this switch that you are talking about?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
The 536 and 521 are there because the KOER test was not run correctly. You need to tap the brake to exercize the BOO circuit / switch and turn the steering wheel at least 1/2 a turn to exercize the PSPS circuit / switch.
I can retry when I get home, but I think I did that right.

I haven't checked the oil and coolant yet, but I can do that today. I can snap a few pictures later today as well.

Another thing I was just recently informed of is some kind of electrical problem. My uncle says that occasionally it will just die like someone turned off the key, and after that it won't start for a while. Also, the electric fan isn't hooked up because the person who drove it before it broke down says that it will "blow up." Neither me or my uncle know why she says this...

I don't have a pressure tester. The fuel pump was one of my first thoughts also.

Anyway, expect some pics and maybe a video later. I'm stuck in class right now...

Last edited by JTalley; 11-09-2011 at 10:37 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Chapter: West Coast

I'd check fuel pump pressure..could even be a plugged gas filter too..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I found out that the ground wire is something the PO added on. A switch for that fan, apparently. The car fired right up yesterday, no smoke or anything unusual, and this morning my uncle was driving it around.

As for the fuel pump, I suspected that the whole time.
I found an article on how to check the fuel pressure, but where would I get a pressure tester? Would O'Reilly's loan me one?

Last edited by JTalley; 11-10-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page