instrument cluster/message center problems - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanqzqz View Post
The only other alternative i have found that is 'official' is to send my old cluster into a speedo repair place, which the minimum I've found is around $175 labor/repair, plus shipping to them.

I'm currently researching some of the other digital clusters that i know of from ford and trying to see if there are any workarounds, i also have some free time on monday to go back up to school and my toolroom guy has told me he'll let me use the NGS and the palm/laptop setup to see what i can do.

I'm going to try and find a decent solution to this. Then maybe I'll do a writeup.

Old thread but was this ever resolved? Repair by third party company? Replaced circuit board?

I have an 08 Taurus where the information center has gone blank. It started as fading and sometimes went to horizontal lines. If I banged the dash, the display woudl flicker indicating a loose component. Looking at the circuit board, there were a few cracked solder joints around the "high watt" resistors that needed to be touched up. Once they were resoldered, the display went completely blank. This tells me a component has failed.

I have tried to contact Visteon to obtain schematics but have received no response from them. Going to try their 800 number to see if that can get me anywhere. I figure if I can order a schematic for a fraction of the cost and effect repair myself, it is a better first step than shelling out $600+ for a replace and reprogram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Good luck with that. Schematics may be considered proprietary information. If you get one please post it so others may benefit!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I believe it needs to be certified because it is an odometer and people could change mileage. It might be the law especially for dealers. I had a digital dash on a Buick Regal and when I went to trade it in the dealer gave me a story of him getting stuck with bad dashes and having to send them off to get fixed and mileage certified on the fixed dash.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Good luck with that. Schematics may be considered proprietary information. If you get one please post it so others may benefit!
You are probably correct. If I can't find a schematic, I will have to troubleshoot the circuit another way. Either way, if I find the solution, I will post it.

I know it has to be something simple. It may be a matter of finding a power schematic for the LED display and comparing it against the components on the circuit board along with some voltage measurements.

Too bad I didn't have more time on my hands. This may take a while.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
Hmm...I've had my '97 Duratec up to 105 mph without issues.

Ive have had my '97 duratec up 110 without any issuses.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10139 View Post
You are probably correct. If I can't find a schematic, I will have to troubleshoot the circuit another way. Either way, if I find the solution, I will post it.

I know it has to be something simple. It may be a matter of finding a power schematic for the LED display and comparing it against the components on the circuit board along with some voltage measurements.

Too bad I didn't have more time on my hands. This may take a while.
Seems like Visteon must have had custom ICs built for this cluster application. There is a display driver IC (60245KC011) that seems to have little to no information available for it in terms of sample circuits or even pin out specs. That being said, I did find a shorted diode that I have not yet replaced. Still searching for info but will make component replacements as I find defective.

Last edited by 10139; 05-29-2013 at 09:45 PM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10139 View Post
Seems like Visteon must have had custom ICs built for this cluster application. There is a display driver IC (60245KC011) that seems to have little to no information available for it in terms of sample circuits or even pin out specs. That being said, I did find a shorted diode that I have not yet replaced. Still searching for info but will make component replacements as I find defective.

I admit defeat in finding a schematic for the cluster (Visteon is useless for support of their own products) so I sourced a used cluster from a 2009 Taurus SEL. Since it was a black gauge face, I had to swap the board from the 09 to the 08 Limited face. I finally have the information center working but ofcourse the security would not allow the car to start. Had to take it into the dealership who only transferred the security settings. They would not adjust the higher mileage odometer to match the original. Just placed a sticker on the door stating the correction.
That programming cost $200 and took them over an hour.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

The Visteon that made the Ford parts went bankrupt. It's a reorganized company now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
The Visteon that made the Ford parts went bankrupt. It's a reorganized company now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Any idea who makes Ford's electronics now? Is it the "reorganized company"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in