Transmission Slipping Going Into 2nd - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Hi!

I have had a recurring problem with my transmission for the last 12 months. Every once in a while, when the engine is fully warmed up and I am accelerating or cruising while in first gear, the transmission drops into NEUTRAL, then drops into 2nd gear hard, causing the entire car to lurch both when the transmission drops to neutral and then engages in 2nd gear.

It also happens if I am cruising at very low speeds around 15-22 miles per hour. I have tried several things to avoid and even cause it to happen:

Quick starts from dead stop.
Slow start from dead stop.
slam on the brakes and stop hard, then accelerate both quickly and slowly from a dead stop.
come to a nice, gradual stop, then try accelerating both slowly and quickly (not at the same time, obviously)
purposely cruise at low speeds, trying to keep the car in that "sweet spot" to cause the transmission to act up.

The end result is the same: there is no definite set of conditions which causes the transmission to drop out of and into gear, other than the car being warmed up and the transmission trying to change from 1st to second gear.

Before, it would happen once a month, now it happens a couple of times a day.

There are no other noises or weird occurences with the car, although this one is enough for me!

Also, once in a GREAT while, like once every 1-2 months, the car will not shift out of first gear until I either hit 5000 RPM or I come to a complete stop, wait and then accelerate slowly. And, the speedometer will not work when this happens, either. Weird.

Can someone please tell me what is causing this and is it fixable?

If it is fixable, can someone direct me to a link on how to do so?

I have taken the car to the mechanic's 3 times and they cannot get the car to act up. But, other have been in the car when it has happened, so I know I am not hallucinating.

Thanks.

Pain! Pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM
jason8225

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the only solution is going to be a rebuild or new tranny.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Some of your symptoms sound like it may be from a bad VSS.Try changing it and also do a tranny fluid and filter change and add some Lucas Trans additive in it for the slipping.
marinab likes this.

1995 Ford Taurus GL - Perfomance White - 3.0L Vulcan & AX4N - 4 Wheel Disc Brakes - DIY Trans Swap Successful
<span style="color:gray">MODS : 20% Tint, Removed Intake Silencer, AR 7 Spoke Polished 16" Rims, Canuck Motorsports Front Lowering Springs, S O L D
1994 Taurus SHO - 3.2L ATX S O L D
1986 Ford Merkur XR4TI 2.3L Turbocharged and Fast - K&N, A/C Delete, 2.5" Exhaust,S O L D

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Robert L
Quote:
Originally posted by c_hayhurst@Nov 1 2005, 10:24 PM
Hi!

I have had a recurring problem with my transmission for the last 12 months. Every once in a while, when the engine is fully warmed up and I am accelerating or cruising while in first gear, the transmission drops into NEUTRAL, then drops into 2nd gear hard, causing the entire car to lurch both when the transmission drops to neutral and then engages in 2nd gear.

It also happens if I am cruising at very low speeds around 15-22 miles per hour. I have tried several things to avoid and even cause it to happen:

Quick starts from dead stop.
Slow start from dead stop.
slam on the brakes and stop hard, then accelerate both quickly and slowly from a dead stop.
come to a nice, gradual stop, then try accelerating both slowly and quickly (not at the same time, obviously)
purposely cruise at low speeds, trying to keep the car in that "sweet spot" to cause the transmission to act up.

The end result is the same: there is no definite set of conditions which causes the transmission to drop out of and into gear, other than the car being warmed up and the transmission trying to change from 1st to second gear.

Before, it would happen once a month, now it happens a couple of times a day.

There are no other noises or weird occurences with the car, although this one is enough for me!

Also, once in a GREAT while, like once every 1-2 months, the car will not shift out of first gear until I either hit 5000 RPM or I come to a complete stop, wait and then accelerate slowly. And, the speedometer will not work when this happens, either. Weird.

If it is fixable, can someone direct me to a link on how to do so?

I have taken the car to the mechanic's 3 times and they cannot get the car to act up. But, other have been in the car when it has happened, so I know I am not hallucinating.

Thanks.

Pain! Pain!
Do you have a transplanted engine? Your profile shows something odd.

Car Ford Taurus
Year 1999
Engine 6cyl - 3.0 Yamaha <---
Transmission Automatic
Body type Sedan
Trim level SE

If it is the original engine, it's not a Yamaha, and from your description, do you have an SES light on have you had the codes read?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by c_hayhurst@Nov 2 2005, 12:24 AM
And, the speedometer will not work when this happens, either. Weird.

VSS.

I've had similar symptoms on my '95. On mine, the speedo is still cable driven, not sure if it is or not on yours. Either way, sounds like the VSS is crapping out and not sending signals to the computer or the speedo.

Andy
---
&#39;01 Windstar SE 3.8
&#39;06 Other Brand
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to J Rod Send a message via Yahoo to J Rod
yeah sounds like it is getting confused try the VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor) and see if it is it. Better spending 200 bucks on something that might help it to 2500 before you are ready. the fact that you lose speed signal really makes it seem like the VSS is faulty. I would get this done now since you have been driving it like that for a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Ford SVT Focus ZX5 65k miles 1647 of 2173 made
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Well...

It's official: I need a new transmission.

My car is stuck in first gear, the speedometer doesn't work and the "Service Engine Soon" light is on.

$1800-2000 to replace the transmission.

Onl;y have 74000 miles on it, too.

That's it! I'm never buying another American car ever again!

The American car industry deserves to die. This is totally unacceptable.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to 93 sable
Quote:
Originally posted by c_hayhurst@Nov 1 2005, 11:24 PM
That right there is a bad VSS sensor. I just replaced this on a friends car and when i drove the car with the sensor disconnected it did exactly this. No spedometer and the transmission would not shift out of first till 5k rpm's. And then it shifted wierdly after that.

May want to start with the sensor since it's only $30, but it looks like you may have a combination of problems.

The sensor is not that hard to change, I did end up having problems with it because the sensor would NOT come out of the transmission. No one else on this board had that problem though, so I guess the car I was working on was a wierd one.

[img]http://24.60.35.128/images/vss1.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
Here is where the sensor is (keep in mind this one broke off!) It's located on the left side of the transmission, between the engine mount and the exhaust manifold, there is a wire going to is and it's covered by a slip on aluminum heat shield.

Here's a new sensor. There are 2 types. one size for the AX4N and one for the AX4S. Only difference is the size fo the base.
marinab likes this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Devoted Member

double post

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by c_hayhurst@Jun 2 2006, 11:25 AM
That's it!* I'm never buying another American car ever again!

The American car industry deserves to die.* This is totally unacceptable.
I must comment on this since I noticed it after I posted.

Why don't you go trade it in for a $24k used Acura TL or MDX with a transmission that's guaranteed to fail on you.

How about an RSX with synchros in the transmission that prematurely fail after warranty and the owner is screwed. Acura realises there's a problem but won't do **** about it. my friend has his transmission rebuilt 3x in a 10k mile span with 40k miles on the car.

This same friend traded that car in for an 04 Sentra that's about to leave factory warranty. The transmission is slipping BADLY going into 2nd. Nissan is putting him through HELL trying not to fix it.

My Mom was f*cked by nissans precat failure on her 03 altima that started to take out her engine, luckily we got rid of it in time. Nissan also recognises the problem but won't help.

Or what about the butterfly screws that fall out of the same car and get sucked into the engine destroying it. This also likes to happens right out of warranty. And you guesed it, Nissan tells the owners to go f*ck themselves.

Nissan also has a problem with premature synchro wear on the SE-R sentras, but won't fix it out of warranty. Most owners get their trans replaced AT LEAST once during warranty. Go to a spev v message board and you'll find a 15+ page thread on pwners getting their transmissions replaced and also owners getting f*cked by nissan.

There are a lot of owners of imports out there having major problems too and lots that desperatly need help, but the media dosen't publicise it, and instead continues to talk about firestone tires on 10 year old explorers.

Be happy your fixing a problem with a car that you could have bought for $3000 easily while still in great shape. An import equivelant of the Taurus costs 3x as much to buy used, and you will sh*t a brick at the cost of replacing the trans in one.

I could go on, but I won't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page