Pizza Delivery Confessionals - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon@Oct 8 2005, 02:21 PM
I did pizza delivery once for a short time. I must say, college students are the worst tippers. Moms come in a close second. Delivery should come with a built in surcharge. Its only fair.

-DC
It often does. I don't know whether the driver sees that, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Here's the pricing scenario....

Papa John's charges a buck for delivery, of which ninety cents comes my way. Then I get minimum wage, plus tips. Now, tips and mileage, I do not get taxed for, because, well, I don't report it.

So, you take a run, they give you a 2 dollar tip, and the end of the shift you are paid, in cash, 2.90. And the cycle goes on. Pretty easy money to sit on your ass, and listen to the radio.

Allow me to address something here. First off, you are paying for our product because you do not feel like cooking, yes? You'd rather do something else. By the same token, you'd also rather not go somewhere, it's much more convienient to have it brought to you, yes? This is where the gratuity, or tip comes in. Your tip is a means of thanking me for braving the traffic, and whatnot to bring to your door, a nice hot steamy pizza, or buffalo wings, or whatever the hell you wanted.

So, when I get someone who doesn't tip, and I can see that they can afford it, it pisses me off, because I take that as "**** you very much, I enjoyed being your slave master for the last 25 minutes." Now, if I go to some ****-pit house that the paint is falling off of, the car's older than mine, the kids are in rags, you know, it's plain that they are just scraping by, I will actually refuse a tip. I'll tell them to keep it, they need it more than I do. But like this one woman I went to today, had a house with a 5 car garage, and a Benz sitting in the driveway with a delaer plate on it, she should just come out and say, "I'm too big a snob to properly thank you for your time and effort, so piss off."

I am by no means a rich man, but I believe in tipping, big time. The only way I won't tip is if I get completely piss-poor service. And you gotta work hard for me to think that, because I am fully aware of what stress can do to a person.

And as far as some people not looking at the car.....look, man. People are shallow nowadays. Simple as that. I guess that's why I kept a $4.88 tip avergae today on 9 runs, and the guy with the new Tiburon had to do 15 runs to equal what I made.

Zorin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fordtaurus2000@Oct 8 2005, 11:14 AM
1 ****box next to the other two 'lawn Ornaments" or is it the other way around ... hard to tell. I really like the Cinder Blocks - gives that back hills Alabama touch...
You know, I had a feeling that might come up after I took that pic....

My gold car's wheels are out being professionally polished right now. Jack stands just sink into the yard, so cinder bricks it is!

Zorin

post #24 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Devoted Member

Werd Zorin. Through my late teenage years I was a bellhop at a 4-star hotel in rural, scenic New Hampshire. People come in here and spend generally $200-$300 (up to $700) per night per person, haul their 4 kids in their Tahoes and Excursions with the entire back loaded up so high with luggage that they can't see out the back window in their rearview mirror. Occasionally we would fill 2 (and very rarely, 3) luggage carts 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 6 feet tall with bags. And the best ones are those who are too cheap to buy luggage so they bring all their **** in plastic Wal Mart bags, and I'm supposed to figure out how to stack it all on the carts. Then haul it up to their rooms, set it up how they like, tell them about the schedule and amenities. But I digress...

My point here is, I was paid $5.15 an hour, plus whatever tips I got. 1) If there were not tips, it would be difficult to find anyone brighter than TIMMAAAY to do the job, 2) the people who stiffed us got especially poor service throughout the rest of their stay, and 3) the people who tipped well got everything very promptly, and when we were busting ass, their requests moved to the front of the queue.

I don't imagine you see many $20 tips as a pizza delivery guy, so it's probably not often that anybody stands out as an especially good tipper. But I have a feeling you remember the stiffs; I always did. And the stiffs who are regular orderers probably get the "special treatment."

If I may quote Farve from Super Troopers, "Does this look like spit to you?"

post #25 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to spridget
Quote:
I got a thirty six cent tip from him......this job's gonna be fun, I tell ya what.

Zorin
Hank Hill is delivering pizza's!

RIP TCCA

'96 ES SHO -
-
-

post #26 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zorin@Oct 8 2005, 07:06 PM
Here's the pricing scenario....

Papa John's charges a buck for delivery, of which ninety cents comes my way. Then I get minimum wage, plus tips. Now, tips and mileage, I do not get taxed for, because, well, I don't report it.

So, you take a run, they give you a 2 dollar tip, and the end of the shift you are paid, in cash, 2.90. And the cycle goes on. Pretty easy money to sit on your ass, and listen to the radio.

Allow me to address something here. First off, you are paying for our product because you do not feel like cooking, yes? You'd rather do something else. By the same token, you'd also rather not go somewhere, it's much more convienient to have it brought to you, yes? This is where the gratuity, or tip comes in. Your tip is a means of thanking me for braving the traffic, and whatnot to bring to your door, a nice hot steamy pizza, or buffalo wings, or whatever the hell you wanted.

So, when I get someone who doesn't tip, and I can see that they can afford it, it pisses me off, because I take that as "**** you very much, I enjoyed being your slave master for the last 25 minutes." Now, if I go to some ****-pit house that the paint is falling off of, the car's older than mine, the kids are in rags, you know, it's plain that they are just scraping by, I will actually refuse a tip. I'll tell them to keep it, they need it more than I do. But like this one woman I went to today, had a house with a 5 car garage, and a Benz sitting in the driveway with a delaer plate on it, she should just come out and say, "I'm too big a snob to properly thank you for your time and effort, so piss off."

I am by no means a rich man, but I believe in tipping, big time. The only way I won't tip is if I get completely piss-poor service. And you gotta work hard for me to think that, because I am fully aware of what stress can do to a person.

And as far as some people not looking at the car.....look, man. People are shallow nowadays. Simple as that. I guess that's why I kept a $4.88 tip avergae today on 9 runs, and the guy with the new Tiburon had to do 15 runs to equal what I made.

Zorin
Exactly. Couldnt have said it better myself.

-DC

2003 Taurus SEL - Gold Ash Metallic, 80K
2000 Taurus SEL - Performance White - SOLD! 8/09
1999 Sable LS Wagon - Vibrant White - SOLD! 4/07
post #27 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by somedude@Oct 8 2005, 10:26 AM
haha you quoted it wrong in your sig
I'm not sure what it's doing. If I leave the $ in it cuts it and the 21 part off. So I took it out. Still a funny line though.

Andy
---
'01 Windstar SE 3.8
'06 Other Brand
post #28 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:22 PM

Zorin is a tiny boy! :-P I'm 6' 3" and 350 lbs. Not all muscle but enough to bear hug 300 lbs. and walk with it 100 ft. I wouldn't want to fight a fellow Taurus owner, so I may need to go on some runs for you and be the Tip master. You tip, or I become yo' master!!
post #29 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketFoot@Oct 8 2005, 03:16 PM
I wanna know if it is true about naked women answering the door for the pizzas? I always here these stories, but no confirmation?
The closest I had was answering the door in just her "unmentionables". She thought she was going to get the pizza for free because of what she thought was a free show. She was pretty disappointed when I asked for the $30. I had a few of these. Oh, and it's not just aimed at male drivers either. We had a female driver who experienced the same situation, but with guys answering the door with less than a full wardrobe.

1994 Mercury Sable GS Wagon (3.8L) (Sadly Retired)

See our new rides at our Supermotors page below....

post #30 of 353 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zorin@Oct 8 2005, 06:06 PM
But like this one woman I went to today, had a house with a 5 car garage, and a Benz sitting in the driveway with a delaer plate on it, she should just come out and say, "I'm too big a snob to properly thank you for your time and effort, so piss off."

Zorin
It was my experience that most of the fancy house with fancy cars paid exactly what was on the bill. If it was $14.88, they would stand there counting it out right down to the penny. Notice I said most, not all. I had a few customers who ordered on a weekly basis that had the fancy cars, big houses and I would get a buck or two tip.

I found the best tips came from stags in the late evening. Delivering 4 party size pizza's usally got us over a $10 tip.

Customers back then were not so particular about what we drove. They were more concerned about the time it took to get their food.

1994 Mercury Sable GS Wagon (3.8L) (Sadly Retired)

See our new rides at our Supermotors page below....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page