Stalls Above 90 Degree's - Page 5 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:01 AM

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I have a 1992 Ford Taurus, 3.0L, and I have had this same issue too...First was Aug of 2011, it was probably about 95 degrees outside, and the gas gauge was just a hair above the red square of empty...and it stalled...restarted long enough for me to get out of the middle of the road...It sat for about 20 minutes, and I had someone bring me 5ga of gas, and it started up, but wasn't running quite right...so I parked it for a couple hours, let it cool off, and it seemed to be fine. That weekend I replaced the original fuel filter with a brand new Motorcraft filter...the old one wasn't plugged, but it was pretty dirty

Well, earlier this month, on a 100+ degree day, it stalled again...This time it had between half and quarter tank of gas...so I let it sit for an hour, jumped back in it, and it fired up...so I put $15 worth of gas in it, and it seemed to run fine after that, and had lot's of power.

It did stall on me one other time, but I found that the coil wire at the coil was corroded, and the coil had a crack in it. So I replaced the coil, rotor, cap, wires and plugs, and it ran so much better (Figure the old parts were 19 years old....LOL)

I have noticed the fuel pump in this car has been quite loud, even when my mom owned the car before I got it...does anybody think I have the same fuel pump issue? On cooler day's, it run's just fine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Yes, it does sound like a fuel pump issue. You should check the fuel pressure.

Running out of gas is hard on fuel pumps because they loose their cooling (gas in the tank) and have to deal with all the debris and crap in the bottom of the fuel tank that gets sucked up.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Yes, it does sound like a fuel pump issue. You should check the fuel pressure.

Running out of gas is hard on fuel pumps because they loose their cooling (gas in the tank) and have to deal with all the debris and crap in the bottom of the fuel tank that gets sucked up.
Yeah Behlinla, I know when it stalled earlier this month I didn't run out of gas, but back in August when it did, it's questionable whether I did or not, although the gas gauge wasn't quite on empty...I've been a car mechanic for 9 years, but this is the first car I've had a weird issue like this...good thing is, the cooling fan's now work, so doesn't the coolant gauge on the dash....LOL

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM

I don't think this would make much of a difference, but my mom owned the car before I did...she bought it brand new in 1992....ever since she had it, up to 65,000 when I got it a little over a year ago (Yes, now it only has 80,700 on it right now), she ran 93 octane gas in it...for the last year I've had it, I've been putting 87 in it, but I have put a couple tanks of 93 thru it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page