Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Failed, leaking steering rack passenger side

889 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  boulderdentist 
#1 ·
I had seen some tell tale signs over the last week that I had a small leak of some fluid on my driveway. It seemed more oily than coolant but not as dark as engine oil Anyway drove home yesterday and put it up on ramps and could see a rather pronounced leak dripping down the passenger side rear subframe bolt. Fluid was red which meant power steering fluid. Further inspection revealed the boots on the steering rack seemed to be the source. Checking the power steering reservoir revealed a low level of fluid. After some reading and searching found that at 148,000 miles and just over 19 years best solution was removal and replacement of the steering rack. It is not practical to try and replace a seal, remember left side is same age and mileage. I suppose at this age and mileage I should not complain. Is this a common failure? I hope to complete late summer into fall the following maintenance, spark plugs, wires, coil, front struts, and check front brakes going into winter. My rear brakes were last replaced in 2006 and seem to be fine, know the front disks do the lion's share of the work. I have replaced the power steering fluid using the baster method at least 4-5 times during ownership, most recently 2017.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.