post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Angry Darn vermin!!

We were out of town for the last several days at the Route 66 Festival and Car Show in Springfield MO with the 86 Tbird 5.0 so the 05 SEL Premium Tec sat in its usual parking spot next to the garage unused for probably the last 6 days. Took the 05 Tec to an appointment today. On the way home the CEL came on. Several B2S1 O2 sensor codes.... an undervolt code, heater current and resistance codes, and stuck lean code. Popped the hood and was greeted with the sight of 3 of the 4 wires going to the B2S1 sensor completely chewed up, and I mean COMPLETELY chewed. One wire was chewed right up to the sensor and the other 2 wires had several inches completely gone. Oddly one wire was completely intact. Ordered a new NTK sensor from RA. Should be here Thursday.

DARN VERMIN!!!!
sheila likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Year: 02
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
MMMMMMM.... Salty!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ I hate meeses to pieces, lol!!!
snosaint likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I seem to remember a story out of Denver International Airport where they were having problems with squirrels chewing wiring on parked cars in the lots. I am not sure if I remember correctly but on one of the auto shows they said the wiring has components of soy which apparently is tasty to vermin. There were variable "solutions" which to me largely sounded impractical. Spraying the wiring with hot pepper spray. Someone installed a flashing strobe, etc. Why can't the wire manufacturers include some king of bitterant which makes them unattractive to eat? If they ruin a wiring harness this can be an expensive problem.

Scott
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
We were out of town for the last several days at the Route 66 Festival and Car Show in Springfield MO with the 86 Tbird 5.0 so the 05 SEL Premium Tec sat in its usual parking spot next to the garage unused for probably the last 6 days. Took the 05 Tec to an appointment today. On the way home the CEL came on. Several B2S1 O2 sensor codes.... an undervolt code, heater current and resistance codes, and stuck lean code. Popped the hood and was greeted with the sight of 3 of the 4 wires going to the B2S1 sensor completely chewed up, and I mean COMPLETELY chewed. One wire was chewed right up to the sensor and the other 2 wires had several inches completely gone. Oddly one wire was completely intact. Ordered a new NTK sensor from RA. Should be here Thursday.

DARN VERMIN!!!!

welll....

on project restore the black turd 98, i was throwing some o2 codes too.
sure as hell, the wires were chewed through on the sensor by the firewall.

i little cussing and it finally broke loose the o2 sensor. hard to get leverage on it
even with the air box out.

bob

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

Around 10 or so years ago I had my 88 Turbo Coupe parked outside next to the garage under a Noah car cover for the winter, as I dont drive it when the roads are salted. I do go out and start it and let it run for a while every month or so and drive it up and down my 100 foot long driveway a few times. Got in it and started it in mid January. ABS light on. The ABS light was not on when the car was parked for the winter. Run ABS codes. Code for LR ABS sensor open circuit. Crawl under the car and see the sensor cable chewed in half. Fortunately the cable was long enough I was able to remove the cable and splice it. Put the cable back in, no ABS light. 3 weeks later I went out and started the car. ABS light on. Code for LR sensor open circuit AGAIN. Crawl under the car. Cable chewed in half AGAIN right next to my splice from 3 weeks ago. Pull cable again and re-splice it. Install cable again. ABS light off.

From that point on, the 88 Turbo Coupe has spent winters covered inside the garage with dryer sheets stuffed everywhere in the engine bay, interior, trunk, etc. No chewed wiring since then.
sheila likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in