How hard is it to open an evaporator case? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
How hard is it to open an evaporator case?

Hi,

The OEM evaporator core went bad on my 2000 Taurus Duratek at ~80k miles. I had a repair shop owner tell me that he would not replace just the evap core because the case assembly that holds the evap core was nearly impossible to get open, and then reassembled correctly again. He also said I was lucky to find one still in stock somewhere. Fyi, here's that (manually controlled) part easily available :
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...&Location=pd:,

I took the shop at their word and was charged $699 (ie. Ford retail price) for that part.

What does your truth-o-meter say about not being able to stuff the OEM case with a new evap core and re-assemble without problems? Can it be done or was the shop correct with their claim it never works out right?

Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to request the old case in advance just to see for myself. Duh to me.

I appreciate your first hand experience working with this part.

Regards . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 2003
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
I just finished taking my case out, disassembled, reassembled, with new evaporator and heater core, then reinstalled. A couple of the plastic locks broke, but there are more than enough screws holding the unit together. The only problem I ran into was not all the screw locations had screws in them from the factory, and I had to move a few of them around when reassembling. Nothing a few pictures wouldn't have prevented.

It can be tricky getting the various air control doors and flaps installed correctly. My small temperature blend door was warped, and was a real pain. It catches on the larger one, and can sometimes prevent the servo from stroking the blend doors to the coldest setting.

Your mechanic may have told you he didn't want to open the case due to previous bad experience.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Precision Transmission. I think you're right. He mentioned he's opened cases before and had problems. He was a BMW mechanic in his earlier career, so I doubt he's gun shy about difficult assemblies. Maybe he billed 1 hour and it took him 4 to get it done on some previous job (or worse yet, had to pull the dash to re-fix something, ha!, not funny really).

Ok, lets let him slide on this. I did get him to back down from $699 to $599 on the part when it was time to pay up (I'm sorry I forgot to include that fact above). So he made ~$100 for placing a part order. But that would have been $200 to every other non-DIY-weekend-motorhead customer.

Thanks for sharing your thought and experience : )

Regards . . .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 02
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
It is possible to replace just the evap core, however the secondary blend door warps and can cause issues. If he replaced the evap box also, it has the updated secondary door.
Here is a link to the TSB: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/bo...ation_door.pdf
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi rsteve56,

That TSB may come in real handy for the shop. Today, the A/C is not as cold as it has been since getting out of the shop on 7/31. Thank you very much for providing that link.

Note that the original "as built" OEM P/N was YF1Z-19850-EB. You'll see in that fordpartsgiant link above that the new "Replaced By" p/n is 1F1Z-19850-B. We have to wonder if the "Replaced By" p/n has the updated blend door, and . . . wonder which part he actually ordered and installed.

Regards . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in