Code P1151 Need Help with Diagnosis - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2000
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Code P1151 Need Help with Diagnosis

Vehicle:
2000 Mercury Sable
3.0 Liter Duratec 24V DOHC

Throughout the past few years I've done a lot of maintenance work. I include this information because that includes replacing old vacuum lines / coolant lines either as they failed or just going to the part store parking lot and swapping out old lines one at a time. Much easier than dealing with intermittent failures. Now, on to my problem.

I'm getting a code P1151. I've had it for a while, and the car is driving fine, but I would like to correct the issue. This seems to be an oxygen sensor lean code on bank 2. I would like to perform the following, and am unsure of the procedure in some cases, or the values I need in others.

Is it mentioned which HO2S sensor this is from the code?

Where is this sensor / both sensors located?

At this point, I am going to examine the wiring harnesses and the wiring for visual signs of defect, and I will repair if necessary. When doing this, can I take a reading across the pins and what value should I expect?

What should I look for next? It is quite likely that the sensor went bad, and I may need to replace it, but I would like to test and confirm if possible. Is there a procedure for this?

If I have to replace the sensor, I've heard they can be a PITA to remove. Are there any tricks for this?

Thanks for the info all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

It has been a few days. Just a bump, hoping someone can help me get started, or perhaps rephrase the question.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
The sensor the code is referencing is the bank 2 (front/radiator) sensor 1 (upstream/pre-cat o2 sensor with a green elec. plug. It can be r&r'd with a 7/8" (22mm) combo wrench, o2 sensor socket or a crowfoot socket. It's the easiest of the 4 o2 sensors to access. I would 1st check its wiring/elec. conn. You may have an unfound vacuum leak causing that code. By the way, welcome from KCK!
kekaye56 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

You really need to look at long term fuel trims to see if you have a vacuum leak before swapping the O2 sensor which is probably not bad.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

^^^^ Agreed. Likely cause is a large vac leak. LTFTs that are high positive at idle and drop toward lower numbers with the engine under load means vac leak.
kekaye56 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
The sensor the code is referencing is the bank 2 (front/radiator) sensor 1 (upstream/pre-cat o2 sensor with a green elec. plug. It can be r&r'd with a 7/8" (22mm) combo wrench, o2 sensor socket or a crowfoot socket. It's the easiest of the 4 o2 sensors to access. I would 1st check its wiring/elec. conn. You may have an unfound vacuum leak causing that code. By the way, welcome from KCK!

Hey, thanks for the welcome! You are only a couple hours away from me. Now, for these sensors, is there any diagram that shows the location of the 4? I have not been successful as far as finding them. I think there is one mounted in the exhaust below the oil filter underneath the front. Would this be the sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
You really need to look at long term fuel trims to see if you have a vacuum leak before swapping the O2 sensor which is probably not bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
^^^^ Agreed. Likely cause is a large vac leak. LTFTs that are high positive at idle and drop toward lower numbers with the engine under load means vac leak.

Okay, so I'm willing to do this, but my code reader doesn't read fuel trims like that. Is there a cost-effective device that will do this? Otherwise, is there a way to test that specific sensor? I do have a couple meters, a loop calibrator and an oscilloscope that are capable of reading / simulating the sensor value. Is this a voltage or a current signal from the sensor?

I currently have an Actron CP9575 but I'm pretty sure it can't record fuel trims.

Also, could you please give a concrete example of what I would be looking for with fuel trims? As I understand this, I will let it idle and see what the fuel trim is, then take it out on the highway, and record the fuel trim, then report the results back here for an analysis.

Last edited by magic_ninja; Today at 12:16 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 02:48 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

Forscan. Free download for PC and pick up a LM327 for around $25 from Amazon. You will be amazed everything Forscan can do!!

Yes on the fuel trims. Be sure to get the info for both banks.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 03:13 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ ELM327. No need for a highway run. Note the fuel trims at idle, then depress and hold the accelerator to ~2500 rpm and read. With hood open, look behind and possibly to the right of the hood latch for a green plastic elec. conn. (plug). This will be the B2S1 o2 sensor. Fwiw, the 2 upstream (pre-cat) o2 sensors have green plugs and the 2 downstream (post-cat) o2's have blue plugs.

Last edited by sheila; Today at 03:29 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Forscan. Free download for PC and pick up a LM327 for around $25 from Amazon. You will be amazed everything Forscan can do!!

Yes on the fuel trims. Be sure to get the info for both banks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ ELM327. No need for a highway run. Note the fuel trims at idle, then depress and hold the accelerator to ~2500 rpm and read. With hood open, look behind and possibly to the right of the hood latch for a green plastic elec. conn. (plug). This will be the B2S1 o2 sensor. Fwiw, the 2 upstream (pre-cat) o2 sensors have green plugs and the 2 downstream (post-cat) o2's have blue plugs.

Thanks for the info on Forscan. For now, turns out my scan tool can actually read the trims. I've uploaded a pic (-3.1) of where they are at idle, and the other is with the engine under load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_132719.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	209521   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_131821.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	209523  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:05 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I am thinking fuel trims don't look that bad but see what others think. You air intake temp is 61 degrees on one shot and 81 degrees on other. Were they done at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in