LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2007
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Erratic Temp Gauge

Hello all. I need a little more guidance on a temp gauge issue that I'm seeing on the 2007 SEL I just picked up for my son. I DID read thru several threads but there is some inconsistency in either descriptions and/or resolution. On this car, while driving, the temp gauge indicator will suddenly swing over and peg, indicating an overheating situation even though the car is not overheating. The chime will sound when this happens. The needle will stay pegged anywhere between a few seconds and minute, then will go back down to the middle or normal range. The car displays no driveability problems when this happens. There is no consistency when it happens. It happened about 4 times yesterday during a 40 minute ride, but never happened later that evening while running a few errands.

I plugged up my OBD reader and there were no codes present.
I then ran the Engineering Test Mode THIS MORNING while the car was cold (did not start the engine) and got three "Continuous DTC" codes, which based on what I've found, is proprietary information. Still, those codes are:
DTC $E013; DTC $9208; DTC $9318

HOWEVER, while in ETM, (again, did NOT start the engine) the Coolant Temp indicated 92C.. which is 197.6F - whut??
So is the issue the gauge or gauge cluster; a bad sender; or, as in once case, a bad Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM)?

One other thing..the car does have an erratic/lumpy idle (no performance cams here..lol). DO you think a thorough MAF/TB cleaning would help fix that?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006

Don't think you have a CCRM. Could a bad temperature sensor for the gauge. There are two, one for gauge and one for pcm. If your scan tool does live data then monitor the pcm sensor temp when gauge pegs out. If it show hot then the engine is hot. It also could be a wiring issue from sensor to gauge. Maybe a loose connector to sensor which I believe is a one wire sensor to gauge. PCM uses two wires to sensor
sounbwoy likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Year: 2005

Sounds like a bad connection (open circuit) to the coolant sensor. Did you check to make sure that the contacts on both the sensor and wire harness plug are clean and not corroded? You can also try smacking the dash right above the instrument cluster next time it happens and see if that temporary fixes the problem. If it does, that would likely indicate a bad instrument cluster or a bad wire harness connector for the instrument cluster.

The digital thermometer in ETM maybe holding the last known temperature if it's not receiving a current reading from the sensor, which might explain why you are seeing 92C on a cold engine... IDK, just a guess...
kekaye56 and sounbwoy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

All G 4.5 use the ECT for both the PCM and the dash temp gauge.

The ECT is a NTC (negative temp coefficient) thermistor meaning that as temp goes up the resistance goes down non linearly. If there was high resistance in the ECT circuit the PCM and temp gauge would would indicate lower than actual temp, not higher. I would replace the ECT with a new or JY Motorcraft part. DO NOT use a cheap no name ECT from the discount parts store.
sheila and sounbwoy like this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page