Which hose to flush transmission from? PICS - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jbaaron
  • 1 Post By jbaaron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question Which hose to flush transmission from? PICS

I'm needing help on identifying the correct line to flush my transmission fluid out of my 2000 Bull SE (Tec). I used to have the information but my hard drive crashed with everything on it. I've attached pictures to show you the stock setup. I traced these line 3 times and the top line of the transmission connects to a steel pipe that goes across to the passenger side of the car and appears to connect the radiator. If I recall, this is the return line I need to flush from but I'm not 100% certain.

The bottom line snakes down and connects to the oil cooler with fins on the drivers side right below the radiator. I'm thinking this is the outlet line but again I'm not certain. I traced this other line that connects to the steel pipe below the oil cooler with fins and it snakes back with both tranny lines but goes past it. I'm thinking this line is going to the steering rack. It was difficult to see and I didn't have my car up on jack stands.

I'm currently draining as much Mercon V out of this pan before dropping it. I plan on cleaning it, installing a new filter, reinstall the pan with a new gasket since the other one doesn't appear to be in good shape after 20 years. I don't want to reuse it again and take a chance on getting a leak. I bought 15 quarts of Mercon V to refill it and top it off after shifting and driving it some. I completed a P/S flush the other day and that wasn't any fun. I got the whine from hell but after turn the steering wheel over a couple of hundreds time from lock to lock without actually trying to hitting the lock, the noise stopped and it's quite. No foam or bubbles that I can see in the system. Level looks great and holding steady.

I would appreciate any help in identifying the correct line. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_235348.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	209231   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_235548.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	209233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_235715.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	209235  
whatevah99 likes this.

Last edited by jbaaron; 07-24-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:39 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

It's the 3/8" (smaller) top hose.

1 - Add another (preferably 3/8" clear tubing) to cooler pipe once the hose is disconnected.

2 - Place & secure both hoses into a 5 gallon bucket.

3 - If you want to flush ALL fluid out of the torque converter, start car, place in N and let it pump fluid out. If you keep in P and don't place in N, you will NOT remove all the fluid.

4 - Once all old fluid is pumped out, pour in about 1/2 to 1 gal new fluid and flush it out too. Once you see clean fluid being pumped out, turn off car, remove clear tubing and reconnect the black hose, then refill.

On my '97 which has an upgraded pan w/drain bolt, I drain all fluid out without removing pan, reinstall bolt, then steps 1-4 above every 15k.

Every 30k I remove pan, clean magnet, change filter & gasket.

Last edited by TaurusRay; 07-24-2019 at 03:43 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusRay View Post
It's the 3/8" (smaller) top hose.

1 - Add another (preferably 3/8" clear tubing) to cooler pipe once the hose is disconnected.

2 - Place & secure both hoses into a 5 gallon bucket.

3 - If you want to flush ALL fluid out of the torque converter, start car, place in N and let it pump fluid out. If you keep in P and don't place in N, you will NOT remove all the fluid.

4 - Once all old fluid is pumped out, pour in about 1/2 to 1 gal new fluid and flush it out too. Once you see clean fluid being pumped out, turn off car, remove clear tubing and reconnect the black hose, then refill.

On my '97 which has an upgraded pan w/drain bolt, I drain all fluid out without removing pan, reinstall bolt, then steps 1-4 above every 15k.

Every 30k I remove pan, clean magnet, change filter & gasket.
Thank you! I was searching all over the forums last night to determine which hose it was. I ran into so many different discussions and then got caught up in some interesting topics that had nothing to do with my own question.

I now remember reading it was the smaller hose but I wasn't aware that it had to be placed in N to flush it all out. I've been leaving it in P every time when I drained the oil and flushed the torque converter. I was confused since some discussions stated it was the bottom hose with the steel line with no fins. Now I know. I do everything else you stated but couldn't remember which hose. I actually pump it out with a siphon hose and it take a few hours. I started it last night and it's done now. I got around 8 quarts out. I'll be finishing the flush today.

I owned this car for almost 20 years when I got it at the dealership with just a handful of miles on it. Been a good car and the only real problems I've every had with it was the manifold gaskets and coils going out. I have the dreaded oil pan leak and I have everything to repair it but it's something I have put off. lol Other than this, it's been normal maintenance and replacement of wear and tear items like struts, shocks, brakes, etc. I don't drive it hard and never have and most of the miles 161K are highway miles on country roads.

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Are you saying to put in N and run until dry?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Yes that is what he is saying,,, although i did NOT know this either, i have always done it in park, >motor running< next time i'll try neutral!

2000, The only Taurus to win Daytona 500-- Hot days, 2012 concours 1400-- For cold snowy days 07 G35 "x"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I completed this today and it was the top hose. I got 10+ qt. out of it and I filled it to the max and flush it with new Mercon V oil as I shifted through the the gears and ended with leaving it in N. More dirty oil came out as I did this and then the new red fluid started coming out of the clear hose. I burned 3 qt. to continue flushing. Afterwards, I got it to operating temps and shifted through the gears. While in park and running, I checked the levels and it it was a tad on the low side. I kept adding until it was a little below the full mark while at operating temp and running. It made a huge difference in shifts. It's responsive and smooth. I added a couple of pics of the dropped pan and cleaned pan. I did use a torque wrench in a crisscross pattern. I have no leaks anywhere. I appreciate everyone who responded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_115356_HDR.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	209241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_115403.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	209243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_123235.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	209245  
sheila likes this.

Last edited by jbaaron; 07-24-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in