Check charging system warning pops up while AC or fan is running. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Check charging system warning pops up while AC or fan is running.

Hi,

I have a 2006 Taurus. My compressor was drawing to much power and blowing a fuse, which also took out the idle regulator, stalling the car when it tried to drop down to idle. The compressor was replaced, which fixed the problem. Took it from Pittsburgh to NYC to Baltimore and back, using the AC the whole time, with no problem.

Now, all of a sudden, whenever I run the AC, after about 4 minutes, the "check charging system" warning pops up, and the battery light pops on. It stays on for about 20 seconds, and both warning and light disappear. This will continue to happen every 2-3 minutes or so until I shut the AC off. If I just run the fan, but no AC, same thing, but with longer time intervals. If I don't turn on the AC or fan, I never get the warning or the light.

I never had this specific problem before, but I did have to change the alternator a few years ago.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Check charging system warning pops up while AC or fan is running.

My question would be, " Does the light come on when you put the rear defroster on?" Maybe weak belt tensioner.

Last edited by jag1959; 07-21-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Haven't had a chance to check it yet, but let me see if I understand your thinking. The rear defrost uses power but has no relation to the belt. So if it is the belt tensioner, then I shouldn't expect a charging problem when the rear defrost is on. Right?
The AC (and the fan?) both depend on the belt, so when I'm running the AC it puts extra stress on a weakened system. The alternator, which also runs of the belt, might be affected, then, when the AC is running. Is this correct? Because this sounds like a pretty good explanation for what I'm seeing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

The rear defroster draws a considerable amount of juice, making it a quick and dirty test to see if amp draw is the issue

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

You are correct somewhat. Both draw from alternator and could still mean a belt issue but the clutch on the AC draws a lot of powerbut only 1/3 of the defroster but at the same time the compressor is also adding a large belt loading at the exact time the alternator is being loaded. So the defroster would indicate more of a charging issue and AC more of a belt tension but not by much.

It shows a lot of your character in a positive manner that you are trying to figure the reason I suggested that.

Last edited by jag1959; 07-21-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page