No AC blower fan air when going uphill - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff K
  • 1 Post By soundu
  • 1 Post By aleo101

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
No AC blower fan air when going uphill

Hi. I recently developed an interesting issue in my 06 Taurus. With the AC running (manual control) when driving up-hill, the blower fan stops pushing air out of the vents. There is still noise being made, but no air-flow. I have tried messing with the speed and air-flow direction knobs while it's out but it doesn't have any effect on bringing it back (so I can probably rule out the speed resistor I replaced last year). After being back on level ground for a few seconds the air flow comes back and works as normal. What could possibly be causing this? Could the blower fan motor being going bad? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Not sure but could it be vacuum related? Maybe you've got a cracked or loose vacuum line and when going uphill you might lose some engine vacuum and it's affecting the blend door position? I don't know, just tossing out what first came to mind.

Kevin

Current stable
2004 Sable LS Prem DOHC
2003 Taurus SES Vulcan
2002 Taurus SES DOHC

Retired:
2001 Taurus SES DOHC
2000 Taurus SE Vulcan
1994 Sable GS
1988 Taurus LX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Year: 2005

Yup, definitely a vacuum issue. With the engine under heavy load, vacuum drops way down so the vac operated mode doors dont work. Probable vac line fell off the vac storage can inside the pass side fender or the vac check valve has failed or vac hose came off the check valve. Easy fix.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Yeah I was thinking vaccum issue as well. Just took it for a drive and noticed when the passenger air goes out the air moves to the windshield defroster vents.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Default for the HVAC with no vacuum to the mode door actuators is defrost. As I said above, should be an easy fix.
kekaye56 likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Locate the small black plastic vacuum junction box mounted on the drivers firewall above the brake master cylinder. Locate the hose marked "A/C" that runs clipped to the windshield cowling over to the passenger firewall where it reduces and tees at an inline vac. check valve. Small hard black line runs through the pass. firewall to a vac. plug mounted behind the black plastic kick shield below the glovebox. Should be some other colored lines connected to the vac. plug also (white, red, blue, yellow, etc.). The whitish line coming off the underhood inline vac. check valve runs inside the pass. fender to a vac. reservoir (black plastic ball or box). Check all of these underhood lines for breaks/damage.

Last edited by sheila; 07-18-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshizard64 View Post
Hi. I recently developed an interesting issue in my 06 Taurus. With the AC running (manual control) when driving up-hill, the blower fan stops pushing air out of the vents. There is still noise being made, but no air-flow. I have tried messing with the speed and air-flow direction knobs while it's out but it doesn't have any effect on bringing it back (so I can probably rule out the speed resistor I replaced last year). After being back on level ground for a few seconds the air flow comes back and works as normal. What could possibly be causing this? Could the blower fan motor being going bad? Thanks for any input.

the best way to trouble shoot this is buy a portable handheld vacuum pump with a gauge on it. You have a

vacuum leak somewhere. my 93 once had a leaking vacuum motor on one of the HVAC vent controls that
leaked.

bob
kekaye56 likes this.

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:29 AM

As others have said, and I agree with, it is most likely a Vacuum leak. Given all the other problems in the world, this is not the worst. I've had the 'air only blows on windshield issue on two taurus, so I was able to figure it out on my second one. Under the hood, passenger side there is a small vacuum union where a few lines meet up and one connects to the mixer coming out of the firewall. The heat of daily use makes all plastics and rubber brittle and develop cracks, so follow the hose from the firewall out. One time I touched it and make the crack bigger, it was so brittle-- making it easier to find/fix--

Currently I have your exact problem-- when I step on gas hard, I notice my AC drops for a few moments. Knowing all I said above, I live with it as a small issue that doesn't happen enough to make it worth all the hassle of finding it (yet)-- Good luck, and keep us posted.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 AM

^^^^^ Do you mean air flow reverts to the defrost vents or air briefly warms up? AC compressor will cut out at or near WOT. Every car I have seen made in the last 35 years does this so you get max engine power to the wheels under WOT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page