06 Taurus Inner Tire Wear - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
06 Taurus Inner Tire Wear

I bought this Taurus from a Ford Dealer 10,000 miles ago and just got around to rotating the tires. They all look in good shape with plenty of tread except the front driver side:

Completely worn down on the inside. My experience is all with motorcycles so alignment is a new deal for me. Can this be diagnosed from just the symptom? Again, the other 3 tires don't show this kind of wear. No pull on the steering while driving, no odd sounds coming from the front suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

It could be a few things like worn inner or outer tierod ends. You maybe able to feel play in the tire if it is jacked up you move it at 3 and 9 o'clock.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
It could be a few things like worn inner or outer tierod ends. You maybe able to feel play in the tire if it is jacked up you move it at 3 and 9 o'clock.
Add. One side only indicates camber on one side which would be ball joint, control arm, strut or body alignment.

One more and I have seen this recently on '03 I bought couple months back.
Car pulls left slightly, alignment is fine. Switched tires front side to side than pulls right. Positive it a tire issue. Switched the tire with inside wear to the rear and no more pull. Positive the bad tire is the one with the inside wear. I have seen this before and that tire on the rear will still wear more but it does not effect the car driving.

Both tires wearing inside about same and likely toe is out.

-chart-

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Add. One side only indicates camber on one side which would be ball joint, control arm, strut or body alignment.

One more and I have seen this recently on '03 I bought couple months back.
Car pulls left slightly, alignment is fine. Switched tires front side to side than pulls right. Positive it a tire issue. Switched the tire with inside wear to the rear and no more pull. Positive the bad tire is the one with the inside wear. I have seen this before and that tire on the rear will still wear more but it does not effect the car driving.

Both tires wearing inside about same and likely toe is out.

-chart-

I am thinking that a worn tie rod on one side will effect that side since the rack is a solid link which is moved by a fix point pinion. Any change in length of each side acts independent to that side. Total toe will increase but toe to center point of car will only increase for the worn side. Maybe wrong but I have seem to have that happen to me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
I am thinking that a worn tie rod on one side will effect that side since the rack is a solid link which is moved by a fix point pinion. Any change in length of each side acts independent to that side. Total toe will increase but toe to center point of car will only increase for the worn side. Maybe wrong but I have seem to have that happen to me.
Agree, slack on one side will effect that tire as it can toe in/out depending on what is happening without effecting the other tire much. Slack is one thing, easy to check. Toe off but still no slack will effect both tires.

From picking tires/wheels from the JY nearby, very common one or both severe wear on the inside. Better finds are back wheels.

I have seen from time to time vehicles with one front wheel cambered out 5degrees or more just driving down the road like they had good sense.
Had X son-inlaw with my past '88 Taurus and he told me a tie rod came un-screwed and fell out. He was turning at a gas station. Tire ruined and the station had a shop and put the tie rod back in to the nut and sold him a tire. Imagine how that car was driving?

-chart-
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Rear tires on sedans with inner wear is weak springs changing camber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in