97 Vulcan Taurus Starter Question.. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
97 Vulcan Taurus Starter Question..

It's been a while, got starter issues, probably dead, can't seem to get a concrete answer so hopefully someone here can help, did the 97 vulcan starters still have that crappy spade connector on the selenoid of did they finally switch to the eyelet and bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

IIRC Gen3's had ring terminals. Regardless if there is a spade connector on the replacement starter it is on a threaded terminal post and can be easily removed.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^+1. Easily converted. New starters usually come with a conversion kit.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
IIRC Gen3's had ring terminals. Regardless if there is a spade connector on the replacement starter it is on a threaded terminal post and can be easily removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^+1. Easily converted. New starters usually come with a conversion kit.

Thanks, I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure the 97 switched to eyelet with no spade, I keep seeing they stopped using the spade in 1996, I'm taking care of a sick relative so I'm trying to get this job done as fast as possible for another relative, I heard I only need 13mm 10mm and 8mm socket and wrenches for the job, along with the standard wire cutter heatsource for heatshrink tubing, screwdriver and maybe a breaker bar if there's any trouble, am I correct?

Someone mentioned locking nuts to keep the connections on the selonoid tight, does anyone have the dimensions for the nuts on the selenoid?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 11:53 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Tbird View Post
Thanks, I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure the 97 switched to eyelet with no spade, I keep seeing they stopped using the spade in 1996, I'm taking care of a sick relative so I'm trying to get this job done as fast as possible for another relative, I heard I only need 13mm 10mm and 8mm socket and wrenches for the job, along with the standard wire cutter heatsource for heatshrink tubing, screwdriver and maybe a breaker bar if there's any trouble, am I correct?

Someone mentioned locking nuts to keep the connections on the selonoid tight, does anyone have the dimensions for the nuts on the selenoid?
I would put this as in the pic on every electric connections. It is made to keep down corrosion between different materials. Available at Lowes.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AntiCorrosion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	209185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in