post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question Issues with a new (to me) Bull

Hey folks,

I just joined today, and was hoping to pick your collective brains about some issues I'm having with a 2006 Taurus I picked up yesterday for a daily driver.

As I was driving my fiancee and I to work, I noticed that if I hit a dip/bump in the road in a certain way, the front passenger tire feels like it skids (or pops out?) a little bit, but corrects after a second or two.
I can't make it happen on every bump, but it doesn't seem to happen as often when I'm not accelerating into said dips/bumps. It's got me scratching my head a little, and I've come up empty with
ideas, even scouring the forums, though I'm still getting the hang of the search function.

This, paired with a soft clunking noise on both the driver and passenger side when I turn the wheel at low speeds/at a stop, makes me think inner/outer tie rods, along with maybe a bushing, or lower ball joint?

Those problems are much more urgent feeling than the next, which I think I've got narrowed down. When I purchased it from the previous owner, he said that he's had an issue with the A/C blowing cold air.
Okay, no problem. Checked to see if the clutch engages, it does. Checked low-pressure lines for coolant pressure, around 50 psi while on Max A/C. There was even condensation on the low-pressure lines, and they felt cool to the touch. I may be inferring too much from those results, but that tells me that the A/C is working, but is still blowing hot air. So, did a little digging, and I've got it narrowed down to issues with the blend door actuator, blend door, or the actual temp control knob (My Taurus has the manual climate controls).

If anyone has any ideas as to how I'd go about further diagnosing these issues, I would love the input. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but living at an apartment complex has me doing repairs in the AutoZone parking lot or in a family member's driveway.

Thanks for reading, I realize this is a little long winded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Have you checked the lug nuts to be sure they are tight and all there?

Checking inner / outer tie rod ends is easy. Jack it up so tires are off the ground, have a helper grab each tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and have them pull/push side to side while you look for play in the tie rod ends.

I agree likely AC issue is a failed BDA. easy and cheap to replace.
kekaye56 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the lugs before I leave work.

I'll look around on here, and see if anyone's posted some direction on replacing the BDA. I seem to remember there being a 1AAuto video being on youtube about that, too.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

There are several videos available online about BDA's. I had to replace mine on my 500, it was not difficult.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable

Welcome to the site from your neighbor in Eagan. If you have the time, get to know you car better by spending some time at U Pull r Parts in Rosemount. I've gained invaluable information there over the years before plunging into a project I was uncertain about. Plus, you can often find cheap used parts (some of which are nearly new replacements) if you browse around. Just did a $35 front brake job with like new rotors, ceramic pads and caliper brackets I pulled off a Taurus this past weekend.
sheila likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Well, folks, I drove it a bit more, and it’s not gotten worse, but it’s certainly a little unsettling to drive.

Took it to Firestone, and had them take a look at it. Turns out, struts haven’t ever been looked at, and they’re all OE. Four bad struts.

Definitely explains why it drives the way it does, but I can hardly afford a $1700 replacement all at once.

Are they something I can tackle in a home shop?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

That's a crazy price for just struts. Struts are doable at home but there are some pit falls like broken or seized pinch bolts and getting the fronts into the knuckles that make the job harder. Not sure your level of experience. How many miles on the car because OEM struts can last 150k miles easy. Wouldn't trust that shop.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I replaced all four of mine on my '06 500. The fronts were easy, especially with Monro quick struts (not recommending those). The rears were a struggle to do and I had a garage do them the next time and he told me to NOT bring it back if they need replaced. I don't know if the Taurus is like that or not.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Has around 172k on it, the front struts are weak and the back ones are apparently shot.

Had the guy here recommend Moog or KYB, does that track for decent quick struts?
kekaye56 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:56 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable

I wouldn't recommend Monroe quick struts for the rears, either. I replaced mine two yrs ago and they ride fine as long as the temps stay above +15F or so. Below that they lose their dampening action and all I get is a clunk when I hit a bump or pothole. The rears are relatively easy to replace. Pinch bolts can be stubborn...but, nothing to get too worked up about. Just soak them in PB Blaster or some such overnight and work them back and forth until they can be removed. Rear seat and upper package tray needs to come out to access the upper mount, but no big deal. It's the fronts that require more work. Nevertheless, $1700 is beyond ridiculous...and, with rates like that, explains why so many vehicles end up in the JY prematurely. Stay away from Tires Plus, too...they'll bend you over just as badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page