Fuel injector replacement on 98 Taurus. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chartmaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel injector replacement on 98 Taurus.

Hi, I was given a 1998 Ford Taurus that had been sitting for a while. I love my car and she worked great till about 6 months ago. I've been learning along the way to fix things. My car started misfiring and I was going thru alot of gas. I changed the fuel filter, because it looked ancient. I'm now trying to replace the fuel injectors. It's a 3.0. I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction on replacing the back ones. I did manage to get the front ones out, they were in really bad shape. I am on a tight budget, so I cannot afford a shop. I have googled and searched YouTube, and its frustrating, because I'm still learning all the parts. Since I'm a girl, most men I talk to roll their eyes, because they dont think I can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Rare for even 1 injector to fail, much less all of them. Modern injectors typically last hundreds of thousands of miles. Good quality injectors cost big $$, and cheap Ebay ones are poor quality. Not the kind of parts you want to replace without detailed troubleshooting.

CEL on? Does the CEL even work? CEL should come on with key in RUN but engine not running and go off when engine is started.

I suggest getting hold of a good scan tool that reads data (PIDs) and look at long term fuel trims at idle and with the engine under load even if the CEL is not on.

Which 3.0 engine? 12 valve Vulcan or 24 valve Duratec?

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Rare for even 1 injector to fail, much less all of them. Modern injectors typically last hundreds of thousands of miles. Good quality injectors cost big $$, and cheap Ebay ones are poor quality. Not the kind of parts you want to replace without detailed troubleshooting.

CEL on? Does the CEL even work? CEL should come on with key in RUN but engine not running and go off when engine is started.

I suggest getting hold of a good scan tool that reads data (PIDs) and look at long term fuel trims at idle and with the engine under load even if the CEL is not on.

Which 3.0 engine? 12 valve Vulcan or 24 valve Duratec?
Agree 100% on Ford injectors. I am on Bull #s 7, 8, 9. All used, replaced one injector (leaker) on the '88 and it was from the JY. And 5 Lin Cont and no injector issues.

"Shoot from the hip" parts replace most often fail and cost $$ and time.

-chart-
kekaye56 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Like I said, I'm just learning, so it's a work in progress. All the injectors had cracked o rings. After I changed them, this happened. I'm not sure what to do now. I have no clue why it broke either. Can either of you point me in the right direction?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_190001_1562023559051.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	209047  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Hey Niki,

There are a lot of good resources here as well as advice. I would not roll my eyes at you, rather admire your determination to learn. Forgive my ignorance but in the picture I see the PCV valve, the firewall, and the transaxle dipstick. Can you circle or point out what is broken? One thing I have learned from Jeff K is his insistence on troubleshooting and diagnosis. Throwing parts at a problem you might get lucky, or become an expensive journey into frustration. I think most misfires are due to spark plugs, spark plug wires, or the coil. Chart and Automender12345 recommend spraying water on the coil, see if there is a change. Post your specific engine, any trouble codes, consider Forscan which is a free scan program.

Good luck,

Scott
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Scott. Heres an edited pic. I think I had more fun actually taking things apart and learning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_022411_1562048804985.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	209049  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

That is the EGR pipe going from the firewall bank exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. The 2 hoses coming off the pipe are high temp silicone hoses that go to the DPFE sensor.

My guess is it is pretty noisy in the engine bay with that pipe broken. You should hear / feel hot exhaust coming out of it. You should also have the CEL on and several EGR related codes, and possibly air/fuel ratio codes related to the broken EGR pipe. That pipe needs to either be replaced with a new one or possibly removed and welded together.

FYI, you have the 12 valve Vulcan engine.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Agree with Jeff K, replace that EGR pipe with one from the parts yard.
I would not replace injectors unless the codes show there is a problem.
Good fuel treatment with a full tank of gas.
I did replace one injector that had codes with one from the parts yard, got three of them for $30
out of a low mileage wreck car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page