Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2002 SES Electrical Issues After Collision

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JRockZ 
#1 · (Edited)
2002 Taurus ses. I picked this up cheap, it was hit on the left front fender bumper corner and lt headlight,, everything still works on the veh (exceptions coming) the only thing that wasnt working from the damage was the left front turn signal as it was completely crunched. I know the person i got this veh from, when he side swiped/hit a jeep it tore the lt front fender off, cracked the lt front corner of the bumper bent the hood and shattered the headlight. According to him EVERYTHINg on the car worked before it was hit. After the accident i guess he had to put the drivers window down and hold what was left of the front fender to avoid it from rubbing the tire. The veh was driven a mile home then towed to a shop where i went and picked it up, we cut off what was left of the fender and i drove it 20mi home. My issues are this:

1. Power windows now not working but did after the accident.
  2. Wipers/washer not working
  3. Interior lights not working
  4. Speedo is whacking out
  5. Power door locks not working

• Trunk lights work but no interior lights at all except dash lights that work fine.
  • Power mirrors work fine but no power windows. I've traced the blue and black wire it is good and no blown fuses or failing relays ANYWHERE in the car.
  • All climate controls work fine, he had a custom aftermarket stereo in it but has removed it and i put the stock stereo back in and re- plugged in the amp in the trunk but the stereo doesnt work (it may never have i dont know as he had aftermarket in it).

• Hazzards do not work either but all lights on the exterior do

• Key fob Remote not working

Hopefully this fully explains everything and hopefully someone here has a clue as to what maybe wrong. I have double and triple checked every fuse and every relay as well as i have switched known working relays around for testing purposes.

TIA for any help offered.

JRockZ

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is there any evidence of damage to the wiring bundle that would normally be shielded by the now absent fender? Have the grounds been checked (particularly those attached to the inner fender)? Just for clarification, because someone is bound to ask, are the fuses in the BJB included in that 'ANYWHERE in the car' as well as the relays next to the battery?

#3 ·
Thanks

No evidence of any injury to the wiring bundle between the door and the body and i pulled the boot and inspected all of the wires none seem to have any issues. I was just reading another post that mentioned a larger ground wire between the door and the body but i do not see mine as have that. what grounds would have been attached to the inner fender because there maybe something missing i'm not seeing.
The fuse/relay panel that attaches to the outer side of the battery was knocked off its clip's but i inspected all that and tested all the relays in it and all checked out good (not saying i didnt miss something here though). Again i tested every single fuse as well as relay and everything checks out to be good. I'm now thinking maybe there is a ground thats missing and i didnt know it.

The car was hit pretty high and damage is minimal with very little damage to the core support. Here are pics of it when the fender was still on it if that helps any, i doubt it but anything is possible. lol

Thanks,
JRockZ

Attachments

#4 ·
Oh also by the way the loom of wires that goes alont the upper front apron has no evidence of anything ever touching it,,, i inspected everything very closley but of course did not pull apart the loom any.. I mean if the windows worked after the collision, went down went up then its got to be a matter of a fuse/relay/bad ground or something ez.
Ive been looking for the info as to what relays exactly are in the BJB box next to the battery and how many are supposed to be in there because it looks like it will hold 4 but i only have two,,, i did not look to see if the empty spaces looked like they would hold a relay or not i just assumed they were empty from the factory. I'm going to look for a BJB map after this post so maybe that'll help some.

Thanks,

JRockZ

#6 ·
I don't know if this will work or not because I don't have experience doing it to diagnose problems like yours... but I've been dabbling a bit lately with FORscan and it may be possible to use it to run a GEM (general electric module) scan on the electric components and see what codes you get. At least, that's what I would try if I were in your place.

#7 ·
Nice, good idea,,, ill check it out, i do have an ELM327 so maybe it will tell me something,, i still have a few other things i want to look at but i will check that our. I assume Tourque will only give me some basic info as opposed to FORscan?

Thanks,
JRockZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.