LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Failing battery?

Usually I change batteries in the winter when they crank poorly. Today I was running some errands in the town and was making several stops. I imaging the under hood area is was pretty hot. I have a 5 year old battery that has sat quite a bit during the winter with occasional start ups and full battery charges. It has never gone flat. Today at a store it would not turn over. No sound when I turned the key. However the power door locks and radio worked. The headlights would not come on. I left it for an hour, came back and it cranked and fired right up. I then drove it home 20 miles. Does this sound like a typical older battery dying in the heat or do you think itís something else.

Thanks

Spock

Last edited by Spock; 06-01-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
May have the batt./charging/starting systems load-tested for free at a parts store.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:52 PM

Model: Ford Taurus

Have it tested as per sheila. Mine turned out to be an oil soaked starter which is right under the oil filter. Mine was a no crank, no start intermittent condition.

Scott

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006

i also changed my starter last year because oil from oil filter leaked on it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 PM

Need to have it load tested as sheila suggested. Just checking voltage with a multi-meter is not as diagnostic as a load test. However if you have digital multi-meter fully charged battery should be about 12.6 volts. When running with alternator should be about 14.1-14.3 volts. So if it tests low, or low when running points to battery or alternator. My alternator failed at about 100,000 miles with no warning. If you changed out the starter last year doubt it is an oil soaked starter. The replacement starter I installed had a black plastic shield over the end to seal. Alternator is not too bad to change out on the vulcan, had to take out the coolant reservoir to get the mounting bolts out. Sounds like the alternator on the Duratec is challenging to say the least. Let us know but a five year old battery certainly could be your problem. I replaced my battery after my intermittent no crank, no start, knew better to test it but threw parts at it instead. The Taurus can have all kinds of weird electrical problems with a weak battery. I would still have it load tested but you should check battery water if removable caps as well as make sure the terminals and connections are clean and tight.

Scott
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:43 PM

Chapter: Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Usually I change batteries in the winter when they crank poorly. Today I was running some errands in the town and was making several stops. I imaging the under hood area is was pretty hot. I have a 5 year old battery that has sat quite a bit during the winter with occasional start ups and full battery charges. It has never gone flat. Today at a store it would not turn over. No sound when I turned the key. However the power door locks and radio worked. The headlights would not come on. I left it for an hour, came back and it cranked and fired right up. I then drove it home 20 miles. Does this sound like a typical older battery dying in the heat or do you think itís something else.

Thanks

Spock
Could be the voltage regulator, but that is part of the alternator and should not cost much to replace. Rock auto charges about $100 for a new alternator.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:08 PM

Chapter: West Coast

Had a similar issue earlier this year on a trip. While driving, twice the whole car seemed to lose all electrical power for about one second - engine stopped producing power, all lights went out, etc. Later after stopping and filling up with gas, it wouldn't start. No click sound, not enough power to even run the headlights. Let it sit for awhile, came back and it cranked the engine as strong and fast as ever. Battery terminals and grounds were nice and clean. Took it to the local parts store and they tested the system. It indicated everything was fine but the battery was weak. Took the battery out of the car and they tested it again, now battery indicated OK. Then tested again, it showed it was weak. It seemed like some kind of intermittent issue with the battery but couldn't be sure. I ended up replacing the battery and have had no issues since. :shrug: Best I can figure at this point is the battery had some kind of loose connection internally.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:56 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

^^^^ Unfortunately with the quality (or lack of, to be more precise) of batteries these days, internal opens, shorts, etc are becoming more common.
sheila and kekaye56 like this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003

Garage
In the last 14 yrs I've had 3 batteries, 2 AZ and one Diehard with internal battery connector failures. All within their warranty periods. Just carrying it into the store will make it reconnect and test fine. Just smacking my batteries made them reconnect and start the car.
sheila likes this.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page