LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2007
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
P 0401 2007 Taurus Vulcan 3.0L

I have a 2007 Taurus SE with the Vulcan 3.0L V6 with 210,000 miles that has code P0401 for insufficient EGR flow. It runs mostly fine, although it has intermittent stumbling when idling forward and sometimes at highway speeds. I didn't have the proper diagnostic tools such as a hand vacuum pump or the right multi-meter probes, so I took a gamble and just replaced the DPFE (from Napa). This did not solve the problem as the code keeps coming back after being cleared.

Since replacing the DPFE I have attached a piece of hose to the EGR and sucked on it and I could hear the valve operate. I then repeated it with the engine running which caused the engine to stumble. It appears that the EGR functions properly. I have not tested the EGR solenoid, but I did try removing the vent cap and blocking the vent with my finger which according to one video I watched should activate the EGR and make the engine stumble, but that did not happen.

I also recently bought the Forscan Lite for Android app to use with my bluetooth OBDII adapter. If I am using it right, it shows the DPFE voltage at about 0.95V, which I believe is about right. I think the new DPFE is functioning properly and I bet the old one was as well. When driving with Forscan on, it shows no change in the DPFE voltage. I think that the EGR valve and/or passages might be plugged or that the solenoid is not providing vacuum to the EGR.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with addressing this problem? Are there any other PIDs in Forscan that can help?

My first inclination is to just pull and clean the EGR and TB channel since that won't cost anything.

Last edited by The Flush; 05-31-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Spent some more time on this this weekend. I removed and cleaned the throttle body and the EGR valve as well as cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the air filter. It was a pain the butt to get the EGR off. EGR was not in bad shape, with no blockages and the valve operated under vacuum. This engine does not have the c-channel that can get plugged like some older ones. I noticed that the braided insulation for the DPFE wiring was loose from the wire harness, but I don't know if that is affecting EGR operation or not. After I put everything back together and started it up, it alternated idling rough like it wanted to stall and revving up to 3000 RPM. I think the throttle was opening, but the throttle cable was not moving. When I drove it, it would idle forward going uphill and maintained speed without pressing the gas pedal.

My first thought is that I screwed something up when I worked on it. However when I drove it last week a couple possibly coincidental things were noticed. The cruise control would not work and it felt like the throttle was sticking open. On the cruise control, it would not turn on (no cruise light in the instrument panel) with the on switch. When I pressed the set button, the cruise light would come on in the instrument panel, but it would not set/maintain speed. Pressing the off switch would turn off the cruise light on the instrument panel. The sticking throttle was independent of the cruise not working I think and it only happened once. I am not sure if these are related to the current symptoms. The only thing I did to the car between replacing the DPFE a couple weeks ago and cleaning the throttle body and EGR this week is I sprayed carb cleaner around the vacuum connections looking for potential leaks (didn't notice any).

Recap:
P0401 Insufficient EGR flow
Replaced DPFE, but it did not correct problem.
Car mostly drove fine and idled normally.
Used carb cleaner checking for vacuum leaks, none noticed.
Noticed cruise control not working and throttle sticking open when driving.
Cleaned throttle body and EGR valve.
EGR was clean and functioning properly.
DPFE wiring braided insulation/protection does not enter into wire harness connector.
Engine now alternates rough idle with revving idle with no throttle cable input and throttle appears to be sticking open when driving.
No idea if EGR insufficient flow has been fixed because it hasn't been driven enough to check codes.

I would appreciate any help with troubleshooting this, particularly the rough/revving idle and sticking throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190609_105519213.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	208875  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is a video showing how the car is idling.

https://youtu.be/hF2zkfWLFj4

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

As I originally suspected, I just screwed up and left a vacuum hose off. Now I am back to status quo with a P0401 code.

I pulled the vacuum hose off the EGR and rev the engine to see if I could feel a change in vacuum. I couldn't feel suction a lot of suction, but I don't know how much suction I should feel. I am not sure what this means.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

There is a solenoid between the flow sensor and the EGR valve, it may not be working. You need to test the solenoid, not sure if I know how but it should be activated by 5 to 12 dc volts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Are all your small red and green hard vacuum lines connected and not damaged/broken? Elec. plugged in the dpfe and evr? If so, may pick up an evr from a pick-n-pull jy for cheap to try.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I don't have red and green vacuum lines. My EVR is in front of the UID and has black lines with a double connector with 1 line from the top and 1 going to the EGR. All vacuum and electrical connections are in place. When I pulled the cap from the EVR and plugged the vent with my finger, it did not cause the EGR to open and the engine to stall like I thought I read that it should. I don't see or hear and obvious leaks, but I have not taken all the corrugated plastic liner of the lines either. Which is more likely a leak or a bad EVR?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190610_150141887.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	208885  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page