Another Year Another Compressor - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2002
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Another Year Another Compressor

Hey y'all: A mechanic replaced my AC compressor (my second in this vehicle) and drier with an Autozone over a year ago and MAN! It was colder than I have ever felt in this car. About a year later that compressor died (froze) and Autozone warranty replaced it and I paid the same mechanic to install it. When I reported that the system was not nearly as cold as with the old compressor, the mechanic said come back next summer (it was fall) and he'd take a look. Well, he is seldom seen and hard to find. So I took the car to Firestone for the $9.99 AC checkup special. They reported pulling a vac, adding dye, and not finding any problem other than needing 2 lbs. and 2 oz. of refrigerant for $165! I told them no thanks and decided to add the refrigerant myself.

Do you think that it is okay to just add the 2lbs. and 2ozs to the system based on Firestone's
measurements? I have one of the dual gauge setups. Thanks much--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

You should add refrigerant while watching both low and high side pressures, and stop adding when high and low side pressures are correct for the ambient temp. The only time I fill a system based on refrigerant weight is if the system was opened and all refrigerant is gone, such as after replacing O rings, compressor, etc. Of course, I evacuate the system for at least a half hour to an hour before refilling.

I have no clue how someone could say that exactly 2lbs and 2 oz were needed.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

I seem to remember these systems take 1000 grams of refrigerant which is 2 lbs 3 oz. So they are charging for a full refill of system. That's how they can tell, just not right.

Is the system working at all and how long is the compressor clutch engaged? If it engages for a few seconds then the system needs less that the stated amount, maybe 12 oz. Total system takes three cans almost exactly.

A system can be also filled based on superheat method which says the inlet temp of evaporator should be the same as the outlet. That means that the evaporator is full of liquid refrigerant to absorb heat.

I also had a problem with the blend door actuator which which was adding 17 degrees of heat because it failed.
kekaye56 likes this.

Last edited by Automender12345; 05-15-2019 at 09:44 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I wish that I had told Firestone to leave the system evacuated. The blend door was recently checked. It is cooling slightly, as it was when I took it for diagnosing. They said they returned the refrigerant to the system and added dye. Does that mean that it is ready for adding refrigerant without the need for another evacuation? Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings3 View Post
I wish that I had told Firestone to leave the system evacuated. The blend door was recently checked. It is cooling slightly, as it was when I took it for diagnosing. They said they returned the refrigerant to the system and added dye. Does that mean that it is ready for adding refrigerant without the need for another evacuation? Thanks for your help.

Should be, but you can trace down the system to see if there is any oily spots or dye showing. Usually service valves are a primary source of leaks. I usually charge it until the compressor stays continuously engaged on a hot day. Danger of doing it that way is that if you have a weak compressor or a plug orifice you can overcharge the system. It is funny how they diagnosed they system. They recovered the refrigerant to check for leaks. I would think they would use pressures to check system and then inject dye to find leaks. It can be added without fooling with refrigerant with a special injector that a shop should have.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the manifold kit and refrigerant ready and the low pressure valve is missing the threaded connector (see pic attached). I remember that the leaky valve was replaced last year with the compressor. Can you tell what's wrong/missing? It seems that if it was this way when Firestone received it they would have mentioned it. No?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_170139_1558056011874.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	208741  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Year: 2000

Caution. That is the high pressure connector. The low pressure is towards the firewall. The one pictured is missing the protective cap. Valve itself looks intact to me.

Scott
sheila, snosaint and kekaye56 like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^+1 with Scott. Hi service port pictured. Lo port straight back near the firewall. Get cap(s) next time you're at a pick 'n pull jy.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

As I remember, the manifold line screws into the port. There are no threads there to screw the manifold line. Also, the pictured port is much larger than the manifold line and does not fit.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

134a connectors are quick release and have internal threads for the service caps. Caps screw on. They make the connectors different sizes to protect people who try to connect cans to the wrong point connecting a can to high side while compressor is working can explode can thus the different size connectors.
sheila and snosaint like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page