LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Replacing rear struts ?

I am getting ready to remove and replace my rear struts. I want to put on new stabilizer end links as well. I have searched this forum as well as internet and several parts websites. The end links are offered as standard or heavy duty. I'm not sure how to decide. On some websites the standard and heavy duty are the same length, on others one is about an inch longer. Would either be OK, or are the heavy duty intended for taxi duty? Sometime this summer will do the front struts and want to ask your experience, did you end up shy on length and have to drop the subframe to fit new strut into knuckle? Thanks for your consideration. I went for KYB Strut Plus, hopefully a good choice.

Scott
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:23 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

If you are replacing rear struts there is no subframe but the dreaded pinch bolt that may snap. Use penetrating oil and heat and work it out little by little. I have had good luck with cheap links in the back. Driveworks from Advanced Auto seemed to survive at least five years in salt belt. I actually used a two jaw pulley puller to push out the strut from knuckle but used the strut rod nut to protect the strut during the process. KYB are excellent, I like them.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdentist View Post
I went for KYB Strut Plus, hopefully a good choice.
I like KYB too, especially their Gas-A-Just (when are available).
Had bad experience with Monroes, maybe it was just my luck.

On my fronts I used the KYB Strut-Plus and it did improve the original mushy suspension by a lot.
On my wagon rear, I have different setup, so I had only the option to replace the shocks with Excel-G.

"Those with limited knowledge in a domain suffer from a dual burden: Not only do they reach mistaken conclusions and make regrettable errors, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SoNic67; 05-12-2019 at 07:01 AM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
For the rear end links they basically self adjust to the length so the length doesn't matter. As for heavy duty they should either have thicker bolts or stiffer bushings. You won't notice much difference either way. They are just a long bolt in a sleeve with 4 bushings, 4 washers and a nut.
sheila likes this.

92 White SHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdentist View Post
I am getting ready to remove and replace my rear struts. I want to put on new stabilizer end links as well. I have searched this forum as well as internet and several parts websites. The end links are offered as standard or heavy duty. I'm not sure how to decide. On some websites the standard and heavy duty are the same length, on others one is about an inch longer. Would either be OK, or are the heavy duty intended for taxi duty? Sometime this summer will do the front struts and want to ask your experience, did you end up shy on length and have to drop the subframe to fit new strut into knuckle? Thanks for your consideration. I went for KYB Strut Plus, hopefully a good choice.

Scott
When you remove the pinch bolt: note in the pic, the indexing tab will be resting and rusted to the bolt shank. You will be running the threads against the tab. The weld will be above the Knuckle. Use a hack saw and cut the tab off at the top of the knuckle and it will then be free of the bolt threads. Lot better chance of getting the bolt out in one piece.
-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StrutBoltTab.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	208721  
sheila likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2000

I have watched several YouTube videos as well as advice posted here. I began spraying down the bolts, especially the pinch bolt a week in advance. I have watched them work the bolt in and out gently to remove corrosion. I am in Colorado, so not rust belt but they do use magnesium chloride on the ice. I have a normal propane torch, will that be hot enough? I don't want to break the bolt and have to drill out. I suppose patience is the key. I don't know why but got a killer deal from Advance Auto, $176.00 each at O'Reillys, $94 and some change a piece on Rock Auto plus shipping. Advance Auto $86.99 each, with free shipping and used the 25% discount code, came out to $141.00 for both strut spring assemblies with free shipping!!! $70.00 a strut spring for KYB Strut Plus with free shipping. Intend to do the fronts sometime this summer. Thanks for the advice and tips.

Scott
kekaye56 likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 AM

Year: 02

Garage
You need heat!

A propane torch won't do it! Oxygen/Acetylene is best, MAPP might work. The problem is rust packing up in the bolt shank area. Heat will melt the plastic threadlock on the threads, but the shank of the bolt is rusted undersize and will break. The ONLY penetrating oil to use is KROIL! It's expensive for a reason! Apply Kroil many times over a week or so before attempting removal. Get the bolt boss red at minimum before turning bolt and work it in and out carefully. GOOD LUCK!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

^^^+1 on the corrosion on the shank. It literally fills the shank to hole clearance on all the eight rear struts I have done. I have a OA torch but key is to melt the thread lock and try to back out bolt at least a fraction of inch to let the oil flow into the joints and heat more and apply more oil. But you live in a different area so you may not have any issue. If you snap the bolt a left handed drill bit is the way to go. You put drill in reverse and drill and because the bit drills in reverse direction as it drill it will try to back out the pinch bolt. I used them two times and once the shank is drilled out the threaded portion backed right out. I used the snapped off head and center drilled it with a pilot hole and used it as a guide to drill center of the pinch bolt.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
^^^+1 on the corrosion on the shank. It literally fills the shank to hole clearance on all the eight rear struts I have done. I have a OA torch but key is to melt the thread lock and try to back out bolt at least a fraction of inch to let the oil flow into the joints and heat more and apply more oil. But you live in a different area so you may not have any issue. If you snap the bolt a left handed drill bit is the way to go. You put drill in reverse and drill and because the bit drills in reverse direction as it drill it will try to back out the pinch bolt. I used them two times and once the shank is drilled out the threaded portion backed right out. I used the snapped off head and center drilled it with a pilot hole and used it as a guide to drill center of the pinch bolt.

I have never twisted one off and I am in the serious rust belt. I use electric impact gun and go back and forth over and over until I wear the rust out. Doubt the gun will break the bolt. My very old IR gun gets hot by the time I wear out. I use wheel bearing grease on the cleaned out clearance hole when putting a new bolt in. I would not reuse a bolt where the shank has been rusted and made weak.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PinchBolt.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	208727  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Year: 2001

I did this job 2 years ago. I too live in the rust belt. To heck with Locktite! I buttered everything with antiseize so suspension work can be done later as needed.
sheila and Triton3.5 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in