post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2002
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2002 AC problem/extra part

Hello,

I recently removed the glove box and stereo to take a look at an AC problem and found a disconnected part that I can't tell how to fit (I will try to attach a pic)

The air worked ok (not great) when I got the car, then quit getting cold. Took it to a shop and they said compressor was good, but the environmental sensor (?) needed to be replaced. They replaced it and it worked ok for a bit, but to get it to cold, I would frequently have to arrow up to 90 degrees then back to 60 several times before it would blow cold air. When it finally wouldn't ever get back to cold I took it back, and they said the blend door actuator checked out, but the blend door itself was getting stuck. Told me 5-6 hours of labor just to come up with an estimate to fix it! (car has 240,000 miles,so not looking to invest a lot)

When I got in there and took the actuator off, I was able to manually move the door and voila - back to cold air (ish) I bought a replacement actuator, but I plan on leaving the door in the current position since it's about to get really hot around here.

My 2 questions:

- what is this bracket looking part that I'll try to attach a picture of and
- is there a way to manually set it to recirculate instead of vent? I hit the Max AC button, but it doesn't seem to change noise from when it's not on Max AC. I'd like to visually confirm. I was getting frequent "burned oil/fluids" smell in the cabin the first week or so, but much less frequently now.

Thanks for any pointers. I've learned a ton from lurking here previously.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	208623  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

i think that is the piece that actually attaches to the door to open and close it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:18 PM

check out this video....i repaired mine when i got my Taurus and i ended up leaving the shield part off when i put back together. it seemed to be getting in the way.

sheila likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

That was a suspicion at first, but I couldn't find any way to connect it to the "arm" that comes out from the hole the actuator fits it. I'll keep looking.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the video - that's definitely the part, and I can see where it connects at the lower end. I didn't take that cover off, so I'n not sure how it got disconnected. Is there a way to figure out what that secondary door controls? I guess I'll open things back up and manually move it and see what it does. If I can get it even cooler I should be set for the Texas summer!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM

i didnt even know there was a secondary door. I thought it just controlled the one door when you switched from hot to cold. Perhaps someone else can help on that one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

There are three dampers that change position when you go from hot to cold. there is a main one that is driven by the actuator, the upper most damper that is driven by the main damper and the lower damper that is moved by the link in your picture. The two auxiliary dampers help isolate the heater core to help make AC colder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual Schematic.png
Views:	12
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	208625  
sheila and rjacket like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
There are three dampers that change position when you go from hot to cold. there is a main one that is driven by the actuator, the upper most damper that is driven by the main damper and the lower damper that is moved by the link in your picture. The two auxiliary dampers help isolate the heater core to help make AC colder.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I'm not smart enough to figure out that diagram, but that helps to know there are 3. I manually moved the first, and I can see the 3rd in the video, so I just have to figure out the 2nd. I noticed the diagram says manual control - is it the same for the automatic control for these parts?

Thanks again,
Joe
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:26 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Auto and manual are the same except for the damper actuator. Damper 6 is internally connected to damper 16. 16 is driven by the actuator and 18 is driven by the link in your picture.
sheila likes this.

Last edited by Automender12345; 05-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Auto and manual are the same except for the damper actuator. Damper 6 is internally connected to damper 16. !6 is driven by the actuator and 18 is driven by the link in your picture.
Oh - I was looking for an external connection to 16. I think I'm getting it. I will open it back up tomorrow or Friday when it stops raining and post back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page