Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2004 Ford Taurus 3.0 VIN 2 Cat Convertors

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Joe McKinley 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Does anyone have normal temp readings for the front cats while engine is at NOT? I'm getting a temp reading of 450 °F on my back cat and around 350 on my front cat. The further down the exhaust you go the cooler it gets.

Also what is the difference in the cats for VIN U and VIN 2 ? If I got a donor vehicle, what years interchange with the 2004 ? If the cats are going bad, what are your recommendations ?

#2 ·
Wow that’s cool for catalytic converters, mine we’re running at 1255.82/1256.18‘F today it’s cool and level ground so minimal load. They are usually within just a few tenths of a degree like today. I just replaced the spark plugs about 5000 miles ago and I run ethanol-free fuel.
As far as the VIN mine is also “U” and a 182 CID V6 Vulcan. I believe the S is a 181CID and believe a Dual Overhead Camshaft.

#4 ·
Hey guys. Does anyone have normal temp readings for the front cats while engine is at NOT? I'm getting a temp reading of 450 °F on my back cat and around 350 on my front cat. The further down the exhaust you go the cooler it gets.

Also what is the difference in the cats for VIN U and VIN 2 ? If I got a donor vehicle, what years interchange with the 2004 ? If the cats are going bad, what are your recommendations ?

If the cats are bad you will have a code. They are emissions critical so performance is managed closely. Never measured a temp. Cats go bad when you have a misfire.

-chart-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.