Worth repairing / investing into? - Page 4 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:50 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
this is the video i watched before doing my spark plugs

sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

well, my fix it or junk it determination goes on whether the head gasket is blown.
where was it leaking water and how? brown crud in degass tank?
compression check?

you can remove the air plenum and clean the throttle body plate off with a cloth
and proper cleaner. no big deal.

drain the ps fluid, refill it, and bleed it. you might get lucky

you can try to clean the IAC valve. some people say don't do it
i have done it and it seems to work. just don't let it soak too long.

bob

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Chapter: Southeast

I have a 2006 too, and live in similar weather to FL (I live in PR). Mine's covered in narrow dents, and has some issues, definitely nothing too serious yet. The roof is starting to get a tiny bit of rust that you can't even notice yet, I'll have to do something about it. Must be the heat, I don't know. I got mine not so long ago, and has only 69K on it! Which is what sold me on it.

I replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires. The fuel system was dirty and acting up, so I replaced the fuel pump assembly, injectors and fuel filter. I also cleaned the throttle body, IAC and MAF. It runs great now, though the Cats are dead so it's pretty loud, something I'll leave to deal with soon. It also smells because of it. It was misfiring for quite a few miles with the previous owner, so I hope the engine is ok. I haven't noticed any oil burning yet.

I also have the same power steering issue, the pump/fluid can be heard. I was gonna have the fluid changed but I'm afraid of having someone else kill the pump doing a flush.

I did it all by myself with new parts from RockAuto, since other shops are way too expensive. I've only spent about $300 or so on parts. I've compared with other vehicles and this car's parts are as cheap as they can get, and relatively easy to find. So I hope you can fix yours. Hopefully the engine doesn't need to be rebuilt. Good luck!

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the radio silence, and again, and again, and again... Thank you for your replies and help.

The car has another very minor quirk with the trunk that I can't explain quite well. Tomorrow I will be uploading a video of the issue which I will add a link to soon.

I noticed something to do with the paint on the hood and roof. The paint looks like bare metal (like a stainless steel sink), but still hasn't rusted like I mentioned in my first post. The paint seems to maybe still have a protective coating on it since it still has the metallic glittery shiny coating that's all over the rest of the car, so I think there still may be some sort of clearcoat or something there (which I doubt, my family practically discarded this car near the end of it's lifespan) so it may not risk rusting. What looked like rusty / limestainy / whiteish may just be primer. Since I know nothing about painting cars I may be dead wrong on this, but I can only hope that I won't have to worry about rust as much.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for not getting the video out, I don't think I'll be able to as my phone is acting up on me.

The paint doesn't really matter much, but I'll try to explain the trunk issue as best as I can:

Whenever you open the trunk, something gets stuck on it. The trunk pops up a little bit, bit won't open any further, like the latch doesn't fully release, or something. In order to get the trunk to open, you have to take your fist and just hit the top of the trunk, and then it'll open just fine. It closes without issue as well. It's been doing this for a while and hasn't increased in severity at all, and isn't much of an issue, just a very, very minor inconvenience.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

This is my post on fixing a trunk lid that didn't pop open.

I decided to tackle my one 2001 with a trunk opening issue. Cleaned the latch with solvent but the inside pull handle would not release the latch and the lid didn't pop up. I figured out that the stamped metal case is just a little too tight to let the plastic latch release. I stuck a pick in between the two stamped halves which were touching and spread them open just a little. The space between them is now 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch and the latch works perfect. Latch must have gotten pinched over time.
Attached Thumbnails
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page