2006 Taurus (automatic) loses gas and speed gauges while driving... intermittent. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2006 Taurus (automatic) loses gas and speed gauges while driving... intermittent.

I've got a 2006 Taurus with 185K Miles on it. Seems to be running fine, but every so often (and it seems to be associated with rapid acceleration) I will lose my gas and speed gauges, and I will get both a battery indicator light and airbag light on the dashboard. Sometimes it will stay that way for only a minute or so, and then the gauges will come back and those lights will go away. during all of this, the engine remains running, and I am getting no Check engine lights or fault codes.
The car has a new Interstate battery, and also a brand new alternator (both in December). The battery tests fine as of this morning, and last week I had the mechanic who installed the Alternator come check it and it also is still fine. Here are my next troubleshooting steps:
1. Check and re-tighten wiring between the fuse box and the batter (some of the metal cable is exposed)
2. Replace fuses
I've also noticed for the past few months that the shifting is not smooth. The engine will often over rev and then abruptly shift down. I also have had no cruise control for about the past year. Could all these issues be resulting from a bad speed sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Possibly. Is the vehicle ffv?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

A previous post on the forum had issues with gauges I think when the engine was revved which was found to be a chafed wire in a harness. It either grounded or opened each time the engine was revved. You can start wiggling various wiring harnesses to see if you can duplicate the issue. Most likely try the harnesses that flex between firewall and engine.

Found the thread about the issue. https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...s-strange.html

Final solution from post.

""FIXED---------

It was not the alternator either.

It had a loose connection in the main wiring harness connector at the firewall in the engine compartment.

Every time I would lift up on the harness, just aft of the alternator, the gauges would work correctly. That would also put a little pressure on the contacts in the main engine harness. I was always working alone. I had to remove the gauge cluster and put it on top of the dash so I could see it from the engine compartment.""

Last edited by Automender12345; 03-27-2019 at 03:30 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Not FFV, sorry should have specified.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
A previous post on the forum had issues with gauges I think when the engine was revved which was found to be a chafed wire in a harness. It either grounded or opened each time the engine was revved. You can start wiggling various wiring harnesses to see if you can duplicate the issue. Most likely try the harnesses that flex between firewall and engine.

Found the thread about the issue. https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...s-strange.html

Final solution from post.

""FIXED---------

It was not the alternator either.

It had a loose connection in the main wiring harness connector at the firewall in the engine compartment.

Every time I would lift up on the harness, just aft of the alternator, the gauges would work correctly. That would also put a little pressure on the contacts in the main engine harness. I was always working alone. I had to remove the gauge cluster and put it on top of the dash so I could see it from the engine compartment.""
Thanks! I will give that shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page