Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
No it is the heavy metal frame that holds the engine. In my opinion it is the safest place to jack up a old Taurus that has body rot that is weaking the rocker panel factory jacking points.

Where do you jack it up? Just in the front center so you can lift the whole car at once? Do you still put the stands on the frame rails or do you just put them under the subframe? Curious, since I've always done one side at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:24 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice445 View Post
Where do you jack it up? Just in the front center so you can lift the whole car at once? Do you still put the stands on the frame rails or do you just put them under the subframe? Curious, since I've always done one side at a time.
I have used this method of handy safe lift. But I keep a scrap 2x6 around the garage for this. I have removed the jack to use it in another location, leaving the car resting on the wood/tire. But I use the 2X6 for longer support, the grain goes in/out not long ways. My under jack board was made from some scrap kitchen cabinet doors. Can't jack on blacktop drive.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SafeLift.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	208285  
ice445 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice445 View Post

If I lift both front sides, I use two hydraulic jacks, one on each side, and place jackstands under the subframe. If I am dropping the subframe I will place the jackstands on those two reinforced unibody rails that form the rear mounts for the subframe. I do slide the removed tires under the car for secondary safety if the jack stands fail but I also leave the hydraulic jacks in place. I have three hydraulic jacks and two hydraulic bottle jacks for doing my car maintenance collected over forty years of working on my cars. I also have a level concrete garage floor to work on. Use wheel chocks, they are important.

I never use the factory jack and in Ohio on older rusted Taurus I don't trust the original factory jack points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page