Car RPM drops while stopped - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
While driving lately, and for quite awhile now, when I stop at a red light or anything that requires a stop, my car is constantly going from about 700rpm, dropping to 400-500rpm, shaking, then quickly resuming the normal idle. I know it doesnt have to do anything with the AC because that's been off for awhile, but I would like to fix it. Ivw read about an idle air control valve that regulated the idling rpm, but cant find any info as to if my car has one, and if so, where it is.

08 Ford Taurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:04 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
This is a rabbit hole of a problem. Could be idle air issues, could be a misfire, could be a vacuum leak, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:24 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2002
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Get yourself a cheap OBDII scanner off Amazon and download Forscan, Torque, or some other scanner program. Invaluable for diagnosing problems like this that could have a million causes. You'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Then you can start pulling any codes (some codes won't throw an engine light) or monitor sensor readings when the car is acting up and narrow down what's going on.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

IAC is located on the right side. Look for a black looking box behind the battery and then follow the big tube that leads to the throttle on top of that is the IAC. Message me and I can send you pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page