2007 ford taurus intermittent stalling and intermittent rough idle. - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus

Trader Score: 0 reviews
go to autoservicecosts.com ......click on my car...and then click on Obd2 codes it will tell you what the code is and the symptoms,also it will tell you what to check or fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Had the car alternator load tested at advanced auto 3 times, it failed the third time. So i pulled the alternator, and had them test it at advanceauto, it passed lol. Went to napa and bought a refurbished, car runs 200 percent better, still stalls a few times until it reaches temp, after that runs fine. Only problem now is the battery light is on and still hitting me with check charging system, I replaced the battery, and its still there, any ideas?? Note I had advanceauto check it under load again and it passed.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bump, and to add the speedometer goes crazy at times, and bad shifting starting happening. Dont have the money to put this thing in the shop... I did notice speedometer working correctly while driving then hit a bump and it went crazy again. I checked all ground wires and the resistance is under 2ohms. I do have a .68 amp pull with computer sleeping, , 1.2amp pull with computer engaged going to try and check by pulling fuses one by one. rebuilt alternator making a ticking noise after install also, will be taking back to napa for exchange tomorrow morning. I would really like some help, if someone can point me in the right direction??

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pump View Post
Bump, and to add the speedometer goes crazy at times, and bad shifting starting happening. Dont have the money to put this thing in the shop... I did notice speedometer working correctly while driving then hit a bump and it went crazy again. I checked all ground wires and the resistance is under 2ohms. I do have a .68 amp pull with computer sleeping, , 1.2amp pull with computer engaged going to try and check by pulling fuses one by one. rebuilt alternator making a ticking noise after install also, will be taking back to napa for exchange tomorrow morning. I would really like some help, if someone can point me in the right direction??

Alt is likely bad or: BIG OR: if you use a '01 Alt as example on '02 or later you will get a delayed red light with actual volts charging of ~13.8V. Starting '02 and later the Alt uses a different regulator and the difference is not visible but the results are. Starting '02 the system uses the center wire in the connector to let the PCM adjust the charging rate.

2 ohms is way to much on ground but do not know how you would be testing. Leakage current is way too high also.

-chart-
Stephen Pump likes this.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Alt is likely bad or: BIG OR: if you use a '01 Alt as example on '02 or later you will get a delayed red light with actual volts charging of ~13.8V. Starting '02 and later the Alt uses a different regulator and the difference is not visible but the results are. Starting '02 the system uses the center wire in the connector to let the PCM adjust the charging rate.

2 ohms is way to much on ground but do not know how you would be testing. Leakage current is way too high also.

-chart-
THANK YOU!
Oh wow at idle it was going around 13.8, and only really fluctuates up if i rev the engine. So your telling me napa is selling me the wrong alt or has wrong voltage regulator?
here is the link to the one they sold me https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RSE2133204F
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
THANK YOU!
Oh wow at idle it was going around 13.8, and only really fluctuates up if i rev the engine. So your telling me napa is selling me the wrong alt or has wrong voltage regulator?
here is the link to the one they sold me https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RSE2133204F
Most important ground when Alt is charging is shown. See pic. Note arrows, the large eyelet is the ground from the engine/Alt to the cowl common post where most of the power negative is sourced. In the pic, note bolted over painted metal. And in the pic the PCM ground is also attached. I cleaned this up and fixed a case of irregular ide speed.

Alt '00-'01 use a "soft start" regulator. '02-'07 used the PCM managed regulator. It can be mis labeled. Ford uses color coded regulators to identify. Aftermarket can be anything. I put an '01 Alt on '03 so learned the hard way. Others can chime in with same issue. In my case the red light came on about 10 seconds after starting up.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CowlGround.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	207113  
sheila and Stephen Pump like this.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Most important ground when Alt is charging is shown. See pic. Note arrows, the large eyelet is the ground from the engine/Alt to the cowl common post where most of the power negative is sourced. In the pic, note bolted over painted metal. And in the pic the PCM ground is also attached. I cleaned this up and fixed a case of irregular ide speed.

Alt '00-'01 use a "soft start" regulator. '02-'07 used the PCM managed regulator. It can be mis labeled. Ford uses color coded regulators to identify. Aftermarket can be anything. I put an '01 Alt on '03 so learned the hard way. Others can chime in with same issue. In my case the red light came on about 10 seconds after starting up.

-chart-
Thanks for the help, i had already went through each and every ground and sanded it to bare metal and cleaned each connector, applied electric grease and rebolted them down. As for the alternator, from reading further it has a internal regulator, and so does ever other aftermarket i see online. Does that mean the pcm has no control over the alternator voltage and if so check charging system and battery light? I am also considering the fact i have a short in my wiring harness somewhere... I do see some deterioration of certain parts of the harness, and where the previous owner has operated on it.

Last edited by Stephen Pump; 12-12-2018 at 10:40 PM.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the help, i had already went through each and every ground and sanded it to bare metal and cleaned each connector, applied electric grease and rebolted them down. As for the alternator, from reading further it has a internal regulator, and so does ever other aftermarket i see online. Does that mean the pcm has no control over the alternator voltage and if so check charging system and battery light? I am also considering the fact i have a short in my wiring harness somewhere... I do see some deterioration of certain parts of the harness, and where the previous owner has operated on it.
Ford has used "internal" regulators for many years. See pic. This is for the DOHC and also used on Ford V-8 vehicles. Vulcans use a different one but same issue. The three regs in the pic will bolt on the Alt but they are quite different and do not work in the wrong application. They are identified by color. Many cases of the wrong one being on replacement Alt. PCM cars ('02 and later) use the white one. Color code is for Ford parts, aftermarket may use different colors like blue, green, or orange.

My experience with the wrong Alt on a PCM car is: Light off for about 10 seconds after starting and then light always on. Charging volts 13.8. With correct Alt will charge 14.4-15.0 on startup then taper off after some driving, depending on the outside temperature.

As a sidebar: my Buick has the regulator on the firewall in what they call the body control module. Put in a cool low vibration place.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRegS.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	207119  
Stephen Pump likes this.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

^^^^^+1 on the low charging volts. My 2006 charges at 14.5 volts plus at idle. Don't trust those parts store tests. This was my experience. https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...ator-test.html
Stephen Pump likes this.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
^^^^^+1 on the low charging volts. My 2006 charges at 14.5 volts plus at idle. Don't trust those parts store tests. This was my experience. https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...ator-test.html
You could have the slip rings 99.9% worn out and it passes. The Alt can turn up to 18,000 rpm but the test is only low speed. I have had 2 sudden regulator fails and one overcharging.

I only use NEW replacements.

-chart-
Stephen Pump likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page