06 Taurus Stuck Plugs and Boot 1. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
06 Taurus Stuck Plugs and Boot 1.

New here. Never replaced spark plugs myself. Tried yesterday for the 1st time, seems boot 1 is STUCK as well as the plugs.
Experiencing all symptoms of bad spark plugs: low gas mileage (12.9 mi p/g), low acceleration, low power, rough idle, lots of stutters, stalls at the occasional stop sign, or when parked and idle, and just and all around rough drive. Sometimes I get a warning to Check Transmission, the guy at AutoZone said it's probably the spark plugs - what are you thoughts? Checked the transmission fluid, and it looks good. Can't seem to accelerate past 20-30 miles anymore. Anytime I try to turn into the main road from neighborhood, the engine feels overwhelmed and is very loud.
Current miles 126,679, driving in a city in South Texas.
Current Codes: Bank 1 & 2 Too Lean, P0300 Random Misfires.
Replaced front and back cats this summer. Bought it in March, seems it had been sitting a good long while. Pics included are from my Introduction post.

Questions:
Considering the condition of things, should I replace the wire set and coil pack? And if so, do you think this wire set and coil pack from RockAuto will suffice?
I have Bosch 8103 Double Platinum Spark Plugs I picked up from AutoZone 2 days ago, and the first step on the box says to NOT use AntiSeize. What are your thoughts on that?
Also, what should I use to get the stuck boot off? I plan on trying to tighten a little, clear the debris with compressed air, loosen a little, clear, then use penetrating oil for the stuck spark plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_183918.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	206397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_183902.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	206399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_183856.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	206401  

Last edited by marinab; 10-01-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: 1st post was too long, typed it on the computer, typos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:24 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

If plugs are original, they do need to be replaced. It wouldnt hurt to replace the plug wires (Motorcraft wires only) and at least inspect the coil pack for cracks. If it were mine, I would replace the coil pack. Use Motorcraft of BWD coil pack ONLY. All cheap aftermarket ones are JUNK.

BO NOT USE BOSCH PLUGS!!!!!!!!! If you do, the engine will run like crap. Use Either the recommended Motorcraft plugs or the equivalent NGK plugs.

The root cause of your rough running is a vacuum leak or leaks.

Cleaning the MAF, throttle body, and IAC might also be a good idea.

Stuck plug wire boots: Pull harder while twisting. Since you will be replacing wires, no big deal if you damage them while removing them.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:17 AM

Double platinum or iridium plugs only is what i was advised. Not gonna give brand advice on the plugs, everybody likes what they like. My wires boots were a bit difficult, so the first thing would be to work on twisting them as far each way as you can until you feel the whole boot moving. then work on removing them with the mentioned twisting/pulling motion. Make sure you dont lose track
of what wire does where on both ends! Good sparkplug socket is essential. All the plugs are easily reachable with out removing anything. You can get to the rear driver and center plug from the driver side- its a eyes in your hands kind of a thing- a flexhead wrench and a couple of different short extensions can help. The passenger rear plug can be easily accessed from the passenger side.

Finding vacuum leaks which is what a prior poster wisely suggested can be tough to find.
marinab likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Ford recs anti-seize on threads, light coating only on the threads and taper. Keep it off the end. Also use of plug grease on the boot insides. Q-Tip helps with that. That seals out water and makes it possible to remove them later. I would cut the boots with a knife and replace them. Do wires one at a time so you keep the route and right coil plug. Misfire common fail of coil. Been there. I looked for a spare at the JY, all had cracks.

-chart-
marinab likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
I agree with the 2 mentions above about NOT using the Bosch plugs. Take them back, and exchange for Either Motocraft, or NGK. Yes the bosch plugs are cheap, and if you were running a German car, I would say go for it. But Bosch doesnt seem to like GM or FoMoCo.

As for getting the spark plug wires off, you can buy a spark plug wire removal tool, usually less than 10 dollars. But if you are replacing the wires, just twist and pull. Twist until it moves before pulling.

As far the possible vacuum leaks. I usually use carb cleaner or starting fluid, and spray it around all the vacuum lines and ports while the engine is running. The idle will change if a vacuum leak found. Best to do when the engine is cold, for me anyways.
marinab likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollKeeper View Post
I agree with the 2 mentions above about NOT using the Bosch plugs. Take them back, and exchange for Either Motocraft, or NGK. Yes the bosch plugs are cheap, and if you were running a German car, I would say go for it. But Bosch doesnt seem to like GM or FoMoCo.

As for getting the spark plug wires off, you can buy a spark plug wire removal tool, usually less than 10 dollars. But if you are replacing the wires, just twist and pull. Twist until it moves before pulling.

As far the possible vacuum leaks. I usually use carb cleaner or starting fluid, and spray it around all the vacuum lines and ports while the engine is running. The idle will change if a vacuum leak found. Best to do when the engine is cold, for me anyways.

Used to be you could ohm wires and tell if they were OK. Not now. See pic. Hard to tell if they are OK unless you can see carbon tracking inside. Once the rubber is burned it turns to carbon which is a conductor. Very hard to see.
-chart-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PlugWires2s.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	206405  
marinab likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for the insights!

@Jeff K The spark plugs have been replaced before. The previous owner said he did so himself when I bought it, just not sure when. I'll be honest I had to google vacuum leaks, and from what I read that does sound like it! It had an ac leak when I bought it, but to my knowledge the mechanic patched it for me as well.

@snosaint Nice walk through, thanks for that! but you should know the first thing I did before even attempting to replace them was make sure I could reach them all lol. I got a magnetic 5/8 and some extensions. Might look into getting a flex tool as well.

@chartmaker Valuable information, thank you!! That pic is awesome, i'll have to have a look at mine for sure.

@TollKeeper Thanks for that! Yea, to be honest those were my thoughts exactly as soon as I did my own research that I wanted to get NGK since I read great things about them. Then, once I looked up the quality of Bosch realized that was not I what I wanted -- I keep making this mistake of thinking guys at the auto stores know what they're talking about, but they all seem to sell me cheap products and don't really know the answer to my questions (hence why i'm here). Definitely gonna try and see if I can get that wire tool you mentioned, cos I'd rather not have to order more if I don't have to!

Oh, one more question: Should I disconnect the battery while replacing them?

Last edited by marinab; 10-01-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typos
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh yea, I wanted to ask you all:
What is this? See pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181001_153226.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	206409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181001_153234.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	206411  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
It looks like something fell on the manifold and melted.. Like plastic or something. It could be a weld, but I have never heard of a 3.0 manifold cracking, not saying it dont happen, but I have never seen it.

It cant hurt to disconnect the battery, but I dont see anything you are doing that would require it.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K

Last edited by TollKeeper; 10-01-2018 at 04:33 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Either some melted plastic or rubber as TollKeepper suggested, or someone tried to fix a crack in the manifold with epoxy, which will not work. Definitely not a weld of any type.

I have never heard of a Vulcan exhaust manifold cracking either.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page