post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
RESOLVED Danged RADIO conked out!

Hi there,

Anyone have their late-90s 'football' radio fizzle and die?
(EDIT: Which part number is correct for 1997 GL--F7DF-18C858-AA or F6DF-18C858-AK?)

First symptom: radio switched stations spontaneously from my setting to the 'end' of the AM dial: 1710 kHz.

Next symptom was all functions and sound cutting out--but unit and clock stayed 'on'. Restarting the engine seemed to clear this but then problem came back and radio froze out again.

Next: radio AM frequency went to '000' then to 1710; then accepted my reset. I've never seen a digital freq display go to zero.

Next symptom: radio display went black and unit dead. Heater/AC controls and their lighting still functional. Restart did nothing.

Final symptom: radio spontaneously returns to normal! Then after an hour repeat all of the above. Happened again today.

The clock keeps its set time when the radio comes out of its coma, so maintenance charge is there.

Is my OE digital radio simply dying after years of use? Or is this a loose plug?

Thanks!

Last edited by 68Kustom; 09-20-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: RESOLVED Add'l info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 AM

No, not a loose plug, but likely a regulated power supply dying of old age. I would look on ebay for a replacement or someone who OH's them like they do the instrument cluster.
68Kustom likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46davis View Post
No, not a loose plug, but likely a regulated power supply dying of old age. I would look on ebay for a replacement or someone who OH's them like they do the instrument cluster.
Thanks. I suspected as much. Any user-serviceable parts inside?

I guess I can hunt up a 'football' from a wrecker--with a CD. Would you believe mine has a cassette player?

Now, which model years and/or other models have the same 'football' radio as my Tau?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Kustom View Post
Any user-serviceable parts inside?
Unfortunately, no. But if you're a tinkerer, you might look for a burned solder joint on the circuit board. They usually occur where a red (power) wire or the connector pin is connected to the board.

Hey, I've got some cassettes. I play them in my '91 F-150.
68Kustom likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Eatc? Iirc, you need to source a football from '96/'97. '98/'99 have different elec. conn. I paid ~$20 at the jy.
68Kustom likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
you need to source a football from '96/'97. '98/'99 have different elec. conn. I paid ~$20 at the jy.

I've found a couple but they're missing control knobs. Anyone know how these pop out to transfer to a replacement unit?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
If you're referring to the hvac pointer knobs, iirc, position straight up and pull off.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46davis View Post
Could this be a TRS issue? I replaced mine back in April 2018 as the OE part went bad.

The radio came back on this morning when I started up. There was clock with correct time but station went to default 1710 AM. Switched to my station

The radio froze after I shifted to Drive. The digital display stayed on--just no sound, no function.

I replaced the TRS but I'm wondering if the new sensor is bad; or maybe a wiring fault.

However . . . the radio freezes like a computer does! TRS issues can't cause that. Right?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Kustom View Post
Could this be a TRS issue? I replaced mine back in April 2018 as the OE part went bad.

The radio came back on this morning when I started up. There was clock with correct time but station went to default 1710 AM. Switched to my station

The radio froze after I shifted to Drive. The digital display stayed on--just no sound, no function.

I replaced the TRS but I'm wondering if the new sensor is bad; or maybe a wiring fault.

However . . . the radio freezes like a computer does! TRS issues can't cause that. Right?

My past '01 wagon, the radio would quit in reverse. Turns out the backup light wire was shorting to the speaker wire.

-chart-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
My past '01 wagon, the radio would quit in reverse. Turns out the backup light wire was shorting to the speaker wire.
-chart-
I did replace the brake light switch back in June with some wiring splicing needed; also the ignition selector switch. Could those replacements do anything--?

The radio doesn't shut off, though; it freezes its display and won't accept inputs from function keys or on-off button. Restart the car and the radio stays off. Then sometimes it pops back on but starts acting weird again; then freezes out again.

The only input to radio is the 12V supply and antenna. Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page