TAURUS code P1504, replaced IACV but still says FAULTY?? - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Which engine do you have 12 or 24 valves. Have you installed the original IAC and what is the idle RPMs. What is more normal level mean? Maybe you have a vacuum leak if you have a 24 valve engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Which engine do you have 12 or 24 valves. Have you installed the original IAC and what is the idle RPMs. What is more normal level mean? Maybe you have a vacuum leak if you have a 24 valve engine.

Mine is the U VIN 12 Valve Engine.

I put the original Ford IAC back on.

The Idle is between 400 and 900 RPM

More Normal meaning when I put the new Duralast IAC on the car it would jump to 2,200 RPM at engine start.

THANKS again for sticking around on this issue!! :-D
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Is the idle rough at all, example is the engine rocking or do you heard any hissing.. I am wondering if the engine sets the code during start up and not during normal operation. If you start the engine and drive it is the code set during that time at all. Erase the code after you start up and then drive it for 5 to 10 minutes and then check for the code even if the engine light doesn.t come on.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is the idle rough at all, example is the engine rocking or do you heard any hissing.. I am wondering if the engine sets the code during start up and not during normal operation. If you start the engine and drive it is the code set during that time at all. Erase the code after you start up and then drive it for 5 to 10 minutes and then check for the code even if the engine light doesn.t come on.

It does not have a rough idle, the CEL is set during engine start up. I can clear the code but if I cut off and restart then the CEL comes right back (this applies to driving it or parked restarting).. I do not hear any hissing sound under the hood.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Have you ever cleared the code then drove a while and then hooked up the code reader and see if you have a pending p1504 code. Code can be pending and not light the CEL. I am not sure when the code actually gets set. I am guessing at this point but maybe you have a ground issue at the PCM. There is an engine ground which is a braided copper wire connected to the fire wall on the passenger side. The braided wire is a flat ribbon with no insulation. Sometimes that ground get corroded and causes weird issues. I attached a pic of the ground location. How does your engine crank, is your battery in good shape? If it was my car and I was troubleshooting I would unplug the PCM connector and look for corrosion and plug it in again a few times.

This is a hard issue to troubleshoot over the computer. It seems the code is an electrical issue code but it seems the computer doesn't like the response to the initial starting and air flow. It would be interesting to slightly press the gas peddle when starting the car to see if it sets the same code.

Have you cleaned and oiled the old IAC valve?? Maybe it is sticking on the initial start up. But that would mean the new one is also doing it. Also can you see any build up in the manifold holes that the IAC valve connects to. The IAC bypasses the throttle plate to regulate the RPMS during idle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized lower intake grd hilite.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	206237  
Attached Images

Last edited by Automender12345; 09-14-2018 at 09:28 PM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
There is an engine ground which is a braided copper wire connected to the fire wall on the passenger side. The braided wire is a flat ribbon with no insulation.
Not meaning to be too picky, on some cars the PCM ground is three black wires coming out of the wiring bundle ending in crimp on terminals bolted to the firewall. Same deal, they need a nice clean connection. I cleaned mine up with steel wool, smeared them with a generous coat of boat axle grease. Strange and horrible problems went away.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46davis View Post
Not meaning to be too picky, on some cars the PCM ground is three black wires coming out of the wiring bundle ending in crimp on terminals bolted to the firewall. Same deal, they need a nice clean connection. I cleaned mine up with steel wool, smeared them with a generous coat of boat axle grease. Strange and horrible problems went away.
Been there, done that, pic tells the story. Simple fix, but I prefer No-Lox anti corrosion compound made for this kind of thing. Sand and brush the body, brush the eyelets and put it back. Important, the ground strap from the engine goes on first. The bolt needs to be rust free and coated with anti corrosion. Fixed my unstable idle speed. This is a general maint issue with these cars. I did my other Sable and my Lin Cont. All bolt grounds over paint. Not a better idea FORD!

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GroundTavWh.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	206241  
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 AM

^That's it!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you ever cleared the code then drove a while and then hooked up the code reader and see if you have a pending p1504 code. Code can be pending and not light the CEL. I am not sure when the code actually gets set. I am guessing at this point but maybe you have a ground issue at the PCM. There is an engine ground which is a braided copper wire connected to the fire wall on the passenger side. The braided wire is a flat ribbon with no insulation. Sometimes that ground get corroded and causes weird issues. I attached a pic of the ground location. How does your engine crank, is your battery in good shape? If it was my car and I was troubleshooting I would unplug the PCM connector and look for corrosion and plug it in again a few times.

This is a hard issue to troubleshoot over the computer. It seems the code is an electrical issue code but it seems the computer doesn't like the response to the initial starting and air flow. It would be interesting to slightly press the gas peddle when starting the car to see if it sets the same code.

Have you cleaned and oiled the old IAC valve?? Maybe it is sticking on the initial start up. But that would mean the new one is also doing it. Also can you see any build up in the manifold holes that the IAC valve connects to. The IAC bypasses the throttle plate to regulate the RPMS during idle.

Thanks again for these detailed suggestions. I will try all that I can and reply.

I have to take care of some medical issues with my parents over next few days so my Reply will be delayed perhaps but please don't forget me...

Thanks to you and all else trying to help this newbie out.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Won't forget you, likewise if we don't get this solve please post solution if you take it somewhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page