Power window hard to raise, easy to lower - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Power window hard to raise, easy to lower

2002 Windstar van, 87,000 miles. Bought the car recently, driver side front power window was up all the way, wouldn't lower. I had never seen this window go up or down prior to working on it.

Replaced the old window motor with a rebuilt motor from O'Reillys. Now the window goes down enthusiastically, goes up reluctantly. Raises to half close fairly well, has difficulty from half closed to to 80% closed (stops, need to press the close window button again -- sometimes several times), then does better from 80% closed to completely closed.

The inside wall of the door moves in, towards the driver seat, as the window goes up. As the window goes down, the inside wall of the door moves towards the outside wall of the door. It's easy for me to imagine that there is some binding in play here as the window raises -- or maybe this is normal (it's the only door I've watched while the window went up and down)

I'm wondering is the metal parts (thin metal bars that form an X) have maybe warped over the years. Maybe I could push them towards the outside of the door to get them closer to lined up. Or perhaps just replace the entire regulator. Regulator (with motor) is nearly the same price as the motor I just bought. Motor seemed easier to replace, which is why I went with the motor replacement. Bad choice maybe.

I sprayed the tracks with Liquid Wrench silicone spray, and put Sil-Glyde on the large curved metal part with all the teeth. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Never worked on doors before -- Looking for ideas on how to proceed. Labor is free, parts are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Follow this video. It helped with my old 98

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I will certainly give it a go first thing tomorrow. I already have the holes drilled out to get to the little bolts.

I'll look at the voltages as well.

Interesting idea.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Voltages check out ok (+/- 12volts).

Adjustments to the little bolts, and prying the motor away from the metal it's bolted to didn't change anything.

Lubricated both sides of the curved metal bar with teeth (no idea what it's called). Had to remove four door rivets to get to the backside of that bar. Must be steel rivets -- a bit hard to drill out. That didn't help either.

One thing did work: I lubed the vertical track in the upper part of the door where the sides of the glass window rub against the rubber/plastic as the window rises. Used Napa's Sil-Glyde Silicone Lube compound. After messing with this window for three days, I'm a bit stunned that it now works.

Probably didn't need to change out the window motor, but I'm ok with having a new motor in there.

Tempted to lube more windows before they need it -- or is that maybe asking for problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page